1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maybe a "Holy Day" means something different to muslims

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Jan 30, 2007.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I really don't like this back and forth -- seriously -- but here it goes. I didn't say the small group wasn't dangerous. Obviously it is. But when you say you're held up because of Allah, meaning everyone who believe in Allah, that's just wrong.

Separate the two: Muslims and radical Muslims. Lumping the two is lazy, and it's an annoying trap a lot of people fall into.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or jr discussing the U.S. polictics

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's a "polictics"?

4. Boom_70

You talents are wasted here. You need to go to work at Langely.

What percentage of Iran would you consider radical ? Syria? Saudi Arabia?

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

What makes them radical? The fact that a majority of them don't like the U.S.? A majority of Americans don't like Iranians, Saudi Arabians and Syrians. Does that make us a land of radicals?

Anyway, I give up.

Everyone that has brown skin and lives in the Middle East is a horrible, evil monster waiting to kill us all. Everyone that lives in the U.S. is one of God's chosen people.

EDIT: I'm going to stick to fun, politics-free threads like the one about last night's American Idol.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think the Iranians and Syrians give 110%. They come to bomb everyday. From the Dictator to the Imans to the last man on the bench. The Saudis, like Shaq, only bring their 'A' game in the post apocalyptic season

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

abbott, that's funny stuff.

Try it in 2006-era Denny Green.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

Boom and other Islam- haters/jokesters,

Extreme Islam is what we're warring against. Not moderate or even fundamental.

Islam is the second largest religion in the world for a reason - it submits to God and is mostly a clean religion. Just because a few hundred thousand of 1 billion people think it's fun/cool/they're duty to blow themselves up or hate on secular policies, doesn't mean the other fuckton of the people do.

It's hard to make a comparison to Christianity or Judaism as far as killing/deaths go. So I'm not going to draw a comparison between a kid shooting a school or a dude shooting his friend over a football bet to extremists blowing themselves up.

You'll never understand Islam until you're a Muslim. You won't get why Muhammad is such the man, you won't understand why it's important to face Mecca and pray five times a day, make the hajj, or give to the less fortunate or wage jihad (STRUGGLE, NOT HOLY WAR) against yourself.

By the way, I don't know if you're a Christian or Jew, but Allah is the same God those religions worship. They all stem from Father Abraham, with whom the world was blessed through. All three just get to Him in a different way. The problem is that the a handful of those Muslims get to him in a way that no one quite understands - extremism.

I can't force you to like Islam or even understand it or even respect it. All I can say is that lumping all Muslims together, taking cheapshots at Allah or His people, or making off-base, ignorant and frankly stupid remarks makes you look like a jackass, which I hope you aren't in face-to-face conversation. Don't be ignorant.

9. Boom_70

Likewise when Israel is up against Syria or Iran they know they need to strap it up tight.

10. THEY MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can't you just see Dick Cheney on Russert?

Iraq was what we thought they were!

You want to crown they asses, go aheah and crown 'em!

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"The terrorists are who we thought they were! What - who we thought they were. We played them in the Afganistan again in the Gulf Bowl in 1993- everybody played three quarters. Who the hell treats the 3rd war of the season like it's bullshit? Bullshit! The terrorists are who we thought they were! That's why we took the damn field! Now, if you want to crown them, then crown their ass! But they are who they thought they were! And we let them off the hook!"

Draft saved Draft deleted