1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

May you all enjoy a fun, safe Independence Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As for me, I was looking forward to my first Fourth in New York but the weather is being a pissy bitch and can't make up its mind what it is going to do. I have no desire to get soaked.

Anyway, I hope everyone out there has a great day. Thanks for all your contributions here and may the second half of your year be sterling

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

Thanks, Moddy. Hope you crack open a few suds and enjoy the day.

Happy 4th, everyone!

3. [​IMG]

Have a great 4th and remember - Mitt loves you

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Safe and sane everybody.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

and be sure to hug your dogs tonight. They're going to need comforting.

[​IMG]

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

“As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality.” — George Washington

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hey everybody! We're all gonna get laid!

(Well, hopefully.)

Happy fourth.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Sorry for the multi-posting. Internet is worse here than at post; I kept getting an error message that said SportsJournalists.com was offline.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Celebrated my first "official" Independence Day at a representational party at the consulate in which I work. Theme: national parks, with jazz music as a backdrop.

Kind of fun to see a mishmash of locals, random Americans and consuls general from other countries celebrating U.S. Independence.

The White House Ale went over well with the guys from Belgium and Germany.

And now I have a three-day weekend in Borneo -- have been wished Happy Birthday by several folks, which is really cool!

11. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear thoughts or experiences of others regarding what makes people proud to be an American?

Anything?

With all the issues, problems and political divisiveness that causes more issues and problems in this country, I don't think this question is as simple as it seems.

And yet, many still want to be, or to come, here.

I have to say that, despite everything, and although I love to travel and visit other places, I don't know that I'd ever want to live anywhere else. That could be ignorance and pride speaking because I haven't done it, but I believe my U.S. citizenship is one of few things I would never give up, and it's one of the few things I would be willing to die for, if it came to that.

I also still believe in the ability and willingness of this country and its people to do right and to be a force for good in the world, primarily through a basic generosity and compassion. I also believe, however, that we often take some of our best attributes and freedoms for granted, and/or take advantage of them, at times, just because we can, which isn't necessarily right.

These thoughts came to me in the spirit of the July Fourth holiday after watching a History Channel special on the American Revolution and recalling how moved a co-worker -- a maintenance guy in my store -- was when his recently becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen was announced in our daily morning meeting as he happened to walk by pushing his big trash/cleaning cart.

He didn't expect it, but heard someone who had found out about it purposely call it out. And when all of us managers applauded his efforts, he beamed -- seriously beamed -- in appreciation, and said, "That's where I was yesterday," with such humble surprise and obvious pride that it was poignant.

I have to say, I actually suddenly choked up a little bit and appreciated it, myself, too.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

People who set off their own fireworks in their neighborhoods can get fucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted