1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maui Baby!!! Sports Opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Company: The Maui News 
    Position: Sports Position 
    Job Status:  Full-time 
    Salary:  Not Specified 
    Ad Expires:   September 8, 2006
    Job ID: 387033

Description:
    The Maui News in Wailuku, Hawaii, has an opening on its sports desk. We're looking for someone who can design AND handle copy editing and proofreading. We put emphasis on all of it, and our ideal candidate does the same. We want someone who thinks about layout and presentation, but also takes the AP Stylebook seriously. We want a person who knows that mistakes on even the most well-designed page make a paper look silly. If you care as much about how a page reads as how it looks, then we want to hear from you. Applicants must have previous newspaper experience and an ability to design pages using Quark and Photoshop. The person hired will be part of a five-person staff and must be available for night, weekend and holiday shifts. All staffers handle a few phoned-in game results and type in agate and briefs at times. The Maui News is a morning paper published seven days a week. Submit cover letter, resume and design samples via mail to Brad Sherman, Sports Editor, The Maui News, 100 Mahalani St., Wailuku, HI 96793, or by e-mail at sports@mauinews.com. No phone calls please. When applying, mention you saw this ad on JournalismJobs.com.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

20k circ, so, um, I'm expecting you might want to make the move as cheap as possible.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you're offered, they'll give you three months to swim over from L.A. with all of your belongings strapped to your back.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That's why most people bring wood dressers. Good floatation devices.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

or you could just coast across the ocean by attaching some of those arm floaties

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Is this a new opening, or the old one that was advertised a couple of months ago?

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Man, if I were just out of college and still hadn't secured my first job. Or was early in my career and unattached, what a fantastic opportunity this could be. Even working for peanuts to live in Hawaii for a year or two and gain some experience.

Good luck to those who apply.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What no way, they have something far better than cops in Hawai'i!

[​IMG]

Also, everyone knows it's a 15-minute swim to Tahoe.

9. Garner

Garner Member

Went on my honeymoon to Maui and got sick the first day I was there. It must have been heat stroke or something. Anway, I went into a medical clinic two days later and the doctor said I had a temperature of 107.2. It was the highest temperature he'd ever seen on a conscious human being and he told me that I could technically be pronounced dead at any moment. The only remedy was Gatorade. That's right, dozens of gallons of sweet refreshing Gatorade. To make a long story short, I lived.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

That sounds like a Chuck Norris or Paul Beaudry story to me.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

In my unknowing youth, i pooh-poohed Maui as just Newport Beach across the water. When I finally gave in to visiting a few years ago, I was blown away. And Kauai is even better. That said, this is retirement or trust-fund living. Begin the countdown. ;D

12. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

For two weeks out of the year -- Maui Invitational hoops and Mercedes Championship golf -- it's a cool gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted