1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mauer remains a Twin

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And if they have a new stadium (read: "Massive Revenue Generator") on the way.

[​IMG]

Congratulations, Twins fans. Your loyalty has been rewarded.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think we're referring to his contract that's up soon. He and Scott Boras will definitely notice the dollars.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

And not even Scott the bullshitter Bor-ass can remotely compare the fat first baseman to the best hitter in baseball.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

plus the difference in position means they shouldn't be comparable. Fielders stats against an average first baseman compared to mauers against an average catcher. I'm sure Boras will try, but it's a hell of a lot easier to replace a Fielder than a Mauer.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That's my point ... Boras will try.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They had to do it. No way can they let a player like that get away just as they move into a new ballpark.

Funny how what one team does suddenly speaks for every small market when it suits you. Well, more predictable than funny. Given his level, the fact that he is a hometown boy and the new ballpark, this is a unique situation, but it won't keep the baseball apologists from crowing.

Of course, even if this pushes the Twins up to $100 million in payroll, that is still less than half of the payroll of the Yankees, who bought the last World Series.

It is great to see the Twins do this. No doubt about that. If they weren't going to keep him, they would never be able to keep that level of player. Plus, I've got him in a fantasy keeper league where you can't keep free agents (hi spnited!) But if he does get hurt or falter, this contract is going to bury that franchise.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not a Twins fan, but it's nice to see a superstar who will not be wearing a Yankee, Red Sox, Mets, Angels or Dodgers uniform.

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

And it's nice to see a team that's been begging the public to pony up for a ballpark in order to be competitive then follow through and spend money in order to try to be competitive.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of the reasons I don't like baseball anymore is that the free agency is out of hand and if you're a fan of a smaller market team, you almost always know that the team won't be able to keep its talent when they become free agents.

I grew up as a huge Royals fan, and I can only imagine what it would have been like if Brett had bolted for the Yankees after the 1980 season, which is the way things usually seem to be these days.

Keeping Mauer is a nice story and I wish there were more like that.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Where's the roof?

11. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

I think Austin Romine is more highly regarded than Cervelli. Either way, the Yankees aren't short on catching talent in their system...just everything else.

PS - To continue on with what Armchair just mentioned: how do you build a baseball stadium in MINNESOTA without at least a retractable roof? It would take Mauer money just to get me to sit there for a game in April or October.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

That's why we live in Minnesota and you don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted