1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Maualaga 'apologizes' to Erin Andrews

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think what he did was completely wrong and inappropriate, but Jesus Christ now he is simulating a sex act? I only watched it once but was he not doing a dance behind her. I think the police department and the courts have a hell of a lot more important things to deal with

2. Oh, Jesus Christ, and away we go ...

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh that is right, I forgot this is fanboy.com not sportsjournalists.com. Who gives a shit what fans think or say. Fans care about their teams. Fans don't care about crimes -- be it sexual harassment or murder. It is why Ravens fans defend Ray Lewis and Browns fans call him a murderer.....It has everything to do with supporting their "heroes" or insulting their "villians".

The questioners are missing the point -- There is a big difference between being good looking and using your sexuality to get ahead.

4. zagoshe

Hey the truth hurts doesn't it. And what Bill Clinton proved is you can be every bit of the pig you want to be and still have women defend you....as long as you support abortion rights.......

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

It's not Libertarians.com??
    Thanks. Bye.

6. It looks to me like he was dared by teammates to walk behind her and dance, and did so sheepishly and probably a little reluctantly. Not defending it or anything, but since he went so fast and his ... gyrations were so understated, being a male who in his day was in on plenty of "I bet you won't ..." conversations, that's my best guess about what happened. I imagine it's fairly accurate.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Here's one answer, from a woman in sports who has dealt with this issue for a lot of years:

Generally speaking, what you might consider 'hot' and 'using it' might actually be an attractive woman going to work, just being who she is. A woman with big boobs, for example, might be hot to look at, but to her, they're just boobs, and they're going to be there. A lot of men can't get past the sexual aspect of that. Same for the long blonde hair. It's hair. Deal with it.

As for the 'she uses her looks to get ahead, so she's fair game' argument: Try using that to defend an actual sexual assault. Chick's walking down the street looking hot, so she was asking for it. Please. Erin wasn't dancing on a bar, she was standing with her back to the jerk, reading her notes. The fact that he can't ignore a cute ass is his weakness, not her fault.

Frankly, these stories really underscore how idiotic men can be about attractive women. At what point should grown men be able to think with the head that's attached to their shoulders?

8. Hey the truth hurts doesn't it. And what Bill Clinton proved is you can be every bit of the pig you want to be and still have women defend you....as long as you support abortion rights.......
    [/quote]

It's not that the "truth hurts," it's that you have to turn this into a "lib'ruhls!" thread.

9. The idea that Erin Andrews "deserves it" because she "uses her good looks" is completely ignorant. I'm no Brad Pitt, but I do try to look as attractive as I can when I go out anywhere other than the gym. I wear stylish jeans, nice shirts, good cologne.

Am I "asking for it"? Or am I OK, simply because I wasn't quite blessed with George Clooney or Leo DiCaprio's looks? At what percentile of attractiveness are people required to be dowdy? Top 1 percent? Top 10?

10. zagoshe

Not true -- it just seems hilarious to me that in large part the same group of people who defend slick willy the most are the first ones to cry and scream and yell about any issue involving sexual harassment, real or imagined, and sexual assault being the worst crime any male could commit........

Just another example of many of ya'all being HY.PO.CRITES.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not a cop, and I don't play one on TV, but I can see that being construed as harrassment that could translate into formal charges.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I dunno, JD ... if I had the answers to a lot of your questions, I might have to re-label myself as a 'supergenious.'

Erin has good looks and a flirtatious, friendly way about her. I'm sure it helps her get some interviews another reporter might not.

Hell, I was friendly and flirtatious in my reporter's days. But there has to be a line in the sand for both sides of the behaviour.

Put a hand on an athlete's arm and coo a 'hello'? Sure. Put a hand on his thingy while he's standing there naked (an old Dino Ciccarelli story)? No.

Enjoy the occasional glance of her cleavage when she's wearing a low-cut blouse? OK. Come up behind her and 'do a little dance,' as zag wants to call it? No.

I certainly won't hold Erin's looks and personality against her, like I would a reporter who sleeps with a celeb athlete and then rejects the father's identity for two decades, until it becomes financially convenient.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.