1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt White gives it up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Jul 25, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Matt White, the kid who signed with Tampa Bay for $10.2M out of high school, finally calls it quits at age 27.

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/115378712093820.xml&coll=1

In an age where a lot of athletes would have written things off five years earlier, this guy is a quality human. He tried for years to work through his arm trouble and earn the money he received. He also serves meals to the homeless on a regular basis. I hope he has a good life.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If the Devil Rays decided the sun was coming up tommorow morning, I'd buy a new flashlight.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He couldn't cut it after signing for $10.2 M. He's a looser. [/somecolumnistsomewhere]

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

his life will be fine. he got $10.2 million. my life is fine right now but it'd be much finer if someone gave me $10.2 million.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Those signing bonus figures are always misleading. He probably only got about half of that after they took out taxes. I believe I could make $5.1 million go a long way, but still. Seems like a guy like that might land as a coach somewhere.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

See? I told you. Don't draft high school pitchers!!!! [/Billy Beane]

Draft saved Draft deleted