1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Walsh is willing to talk about the Pats' taping scheme.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 16, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

2. I don't understand. What protection can the NFL give someone who's not in the league? They're not the government.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The only thing I can think of is that Walsh's lawyers wants the NFL to work out a wink-wink-nudge-nudge deal with the government that allows the ex-Pats employee to receive a pass on anything incriminating and self-incriminating.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The more this thing drags out the less I think it's going to yield. Why would this guy need any sort of legal protection? I know Goodell runs a pretty tight ship, but last I checked he doesn't have the power to imprison anyone.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Does he have a non-disclosure pact with the Patriots? That could be why he is demanding legal protection.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like he wants the NFL's legal team to come across at no expense to him.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What the hell kind of trouble can Walsh get into? Exactly what was illegal under criminal or civil law that they did? Isn't this simply a league issue that we're dealing with, and isn't Arlen Specter just making a mockery of himself by pushing this?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He's looking for indemnification from the league, in case the Patriots or specific individuals come after him with lawsuits.

So for example if he claims 'Mr X told me to do this and admitted it was illegal,' and then Mr X sues him for defamation, the league would be responsible for defending him and absorbing the damages if there were any.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

One can only wonder if Mr. Walsh would still be so eager to rat out his former coworkers if he still had a job with them and they didn't kick his ass to the curb.

10. This is why I always treat my accessories with kindness ...

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

As well you should. Shit, look what happened with McNamee and Clemens. Oh, wait, bad example. :)

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Exactly. Wake me when he actually has something to share.

Draft saved Draft deleted