1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt Millen on TV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by chiefwiggum, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

every one of those teams had great, great receivers ... hahahahahhaha.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good, dan, you can read. did you watch him play, too?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fan boy worship aside, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Once he actually went into the front office and turned a train wreck of a franchise into a bigger train wreck, he lost credibility.
    It's like asking the late Bob Jelenic how to run a profitable newspaper chain.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just another guy who devolved from a supernova into a red dwarf after he took his jock off . . .

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

At least Herm can say he's been to the playoffs as a coach on a few occasions.

Millen is good on TV, but he shouldn't be on TV for a couple of years. Let the hoopla of 0-16 die down a little before throwing him back out there. At least if he's in the booth calling the 4th-string CBS game no one has to SEE him. I think seeing him talk about football is really annoying.

6. So let's see ... John Clayton can analyze. That's fine. Matt Millen can't. Hmmmmm ...

My point is that we're advancing some mutation of the, "He never played the game!" argument here. Except it's, "He played it and played it poorly!"

Millen has been in meetings we would never dream of being in. He knows how the league works. Did it swallow him alive? Yes. But you can't say the experience didn't leave him with any insights.

It is hard to win as a professional sports GM. Fucking. Hard. Could Chris Collinsworth do it? Could Jerome Bettis? Could Troy Aikman? Would Kirk Herbstreit be a good college head coach? We don't know. At least Millen gave it a shot.

Now, he might be a cliche-spouting lightweight as an analyst. But he's no worse than, say, Lou Holtz, who has the credibility at the college level but adds absolutely nothing of substance to that studio team.

To me, it's kind of like being a bad reporter but a great editor. It's certainly possible.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, Waylon. Obviously, the guy was a terrible GM, but I don't think he was nearly as bad on TV as some here are making him out to be and he has experiences as a player and GM to bring to the table.

I do wonder about bringing him in so quickly when the public perception of him is dominated by the debacle in Detroit, but he has more to offer than some of the idiot talking heads we see now.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Question: If he was so good analyzing players, how come he was so shitty as a GM with a blank checkbook?
    Answer: His analysis is shitty and his credibility nil.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i liked millen on tv. i still do because i don't give a flying fuck what happened in detroit.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

With most analysts, you have the suspicion they don't know what they're talking about. Millen has proven it beyond any debate.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, let it go. i'm sorry he was a shitty GM ... i really am. i kinda like the lions. but he's not a bad announcer (for what's out there) any way you want to cut it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Question: Why is it beyond the capacity of some people on this board to understand that there is a significant difference between the job a broadcaster does and the job a general manager does?

I'll leave the answers to others on that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted