1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt McHale

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mr.scottnewman, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where in Connecticut is Matt? I'm also a Nutmegger, and I'd be glad to rally around him.

Someone PM me with details if you don't wanna post them here.

2. RamonaShelburne

RamonaShelburne New Member

Norwalk. Call the ICU before you show up though, and make sure he's up for visitors. I'm sure he'd love to see you though!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Never met Matt, but my prayers go out to him.

Thank you, Mr. Scott Newman, for letting the board know.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Poor Matt. I first met him in a bar with some baseball writers in the late 1980s. Great guy with a tremendous sense of humor. I forget where he was working at the time; he was a very hard-working beat writer on the Dodgers for Pasadena, L.A. Daily News and Orange County Register early in his career.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Matt McHale is one of the best people I've ever met in this business.
    Matt's heart was failing. I'm surprised there's much left. He gave most of it to this business and to ever young writer or journalist whoever ask him a question.
    I remember a recent thread on here asking if an editor or coach ever spent time working and developing young writers. Matt did. And he did on his own time. Ask Tim Brown, Marc Stein, Marc Spears and countless others.
    This profession, this craft is poorer without him.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Met him one year at spring training. Have heard only very good things about him. Damn, this sucks.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just wanted to chime in and send some more positive vibes from the West Coast. Matt's good people. Get well soon.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Fish is dead-on nails. Ask basically any writer at the Daily News, including Ramona (Hi Ramona!). Matt was the guy who not only made your section better by the stories he broke, but he made your section better by his selfless devotion to making everyone around him better writers and reporters.

The guy was the conscience of that department: a hard-working, conscientious, intelligent journalist who -- unlike the waste of sperm who owns that paper and engineered his ouster -- made everything he touched better.

Ramona, the next time you see him, please pass on SportsJournalists.com Nation's regards.

9. Just wanted to give an update on Matt ...

I caught a bad virus, and didn't get up there until Saturday; When I walked into the room, Matt smiled, but there was no real communication at all. He has been moved out of intensive care into the rehabilitation unit--and has a schedule of therapies during the week--and what seems to be a long recovery period.

I don't want to speculate, as the nurses and physicians aren't allowed to give out information, without permission, to anyone except those designated.

I will be going back this week--and will try and update the board. Until then, say a few prayers, and put your heart into what you do--something Matt did every day.

Thanks.
    Scott

10. Just wanted to update everyone on Matt McHale's condition ...

Right now, Matt has developed an infection that has him on anti-biotics; and he's been sleeping for most of the past three days. He isn't communicating much, so it's been difficult to pass along the many hellos, and get wells from friends and colleagues.

There is no prognosis for his recovery, from the heart attack and stroke. All everyone can do and hope and pray.

I will be visiting there tomorrow--and see what that brings.

Thanks

Scott Newman

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Birdscribe has posted on the Sports & News board that Matt McHale passed away after another heart attack.

RIP & best to his family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.