1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matt "Hunter S." Taibbi

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I just spent about 2 hours reading the most fascinating piece of nouveau gonzo, Matt Taibbi's 5-chapter report from his Iraq embed.

I've read enough Hunter Thompson to feel confident enough to say Taibbi is as close to Hunter Thompson as we have in this profession right now. I spent $4.95 on this Rolling Stone just for this 5-chapter masterpiece; I hardly ever buy the magazine, just read it for free over coffee I paid for at Borders.

Anyway, he is part Hunter Thompson, part Private Joker, and fully Matt Taibbi. Part I talks about his embed with a bunch of always-lukcy Okies, and it thrusts the reader into the heart of the piece. The other chapters ring with compelling details — funny, sad, somber, truth — but I don't want to give anything away with anecdotes.

If you're a regular here, Matt, you did a fantastic job. But how did that Jonathan Franzen book at Abu Ghraib end anyway?!

2. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Are all 5 chapters in the same RS?

3. Songbird

Yes. I recommend reading all of them instead of putting the mag down. It gets to be daunting, but you'll have more of an appreciation for the overall impact.

4. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Thanks. Time for lunch and a trip to Borders.

5. Songbird

I should add that Taibbi isn't within 50 miles of Thompson — nobody is, or ever will be — but Hunter is the first person I thought of reading this.

They say something to the effect that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, and this is so true by a specific paragraph Taibbi wrote, which is pure Hunter-esque. It begins "We were somewhere ... " but I'll leave the rest for you to read.

Disclaimer: I liked it, but others may not, so don't hate me if you do read it and think the piece sucked.

6. I read "Spanking The Donkey," his 2004 campaign book and, frankly, it was such a slavish, lightweight disappointment that I'm reluctant to read anything the guy writes any more. For al his excesses, HST was a true original, a romantic who cared about the best principles of this country. Judging from the book, Taibbi learned all he flash and none of the substance. We get long sections about how ugly Karen Tumulty is and how big Jodi Wilgoren's ass is, and an endless eulogy for the juggernaut that was the Kucinich campaign, and a lot of Matt being smarter than the people he's on the bus with. HST believed in something, at least back in the Fear and Loathing days. This guy believes in invective, and in little else. I'll try this piece, though.

7. Sly

Sly Active Member

I like Matt Taibbi. His piece on the Lynddie England trial was one of the funniest pieces I've read in a long, long time.

8. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

He did a great column tearing Tom DeLay to shreds when the Bugman announced he was leaving Congress. It was up there with the stuff HST did on Nixon and Mike Royko's stuff on Richard Daley. It was beautiful. It ought to be put on DeLay's tombstone. Check out the Rolling Stone from a couple of months ago, the one with a cartoon of W in a dunce cap.
    Having said that Taibbi also did a stupid-ass bit about post-Katrina Biloxi that was pure-D whiny lefty claptrap.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The DeLay column was great stuff. He also did some funny shit from the Michael Jackson trial.

The new Rs just landed in my mailbox today so I haven't read his latest but I look forward to reading him more than any RS writer since P.J. O'Rourke.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Guess I'm going out to pick up Rolling Stone.

11. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

His book on the campaign trail had its moments, but it's not like Hunter's or even Timothy Crouse's Boys On The Bus. But I would guess that's because there are fewer personalities on the bus (or campaign plane) these days and therefore, less crazy-ass stories.

Can't wait to read his Iraqi piece, tho.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If you want to read it now, like me:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/10687189/fort_apache_iraq/

Draft saved Draft deleted