1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matsuaka to Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Sacamano, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Does Matsuaka smoke more cigarettes than Irabu? Is that possible?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking about this last week. If I was the Royals, I would place a $50 million bid on the guy. I don't understand this whole process with the bids for the right to negotiate. But there are a few things that are sure: 1) A lot of teams are really interested in this guy. 2) The final price, including the bid for the right to negotiate, is going to be somewhere between $75 million and $110 million when Boras is done raping someone. The Royals have nothing to lose by putting in a ridiculous bid. One of three things happens: 1) they drive up the price on everyone else and don't get the right, despite their ridiculous bid. 2) They actually win the right to negotiate, come to the table with a sack of pennies and delay the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Angels (whoever is going to get Matsuzaka) from doing anything for 30 days, 3) They win the right to negotiate and work out a side deal with the Yankees, in which they negotiate a contract with Boras and they immediately trade Matsuzaka and get some prospects in return.

Am I missing anything here?

3. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Anybody want to make a friendly wager on this?

A one-week ban says he is on the Yankees roster by the start of the 2007 season. Can't see the Yanks letting Boston get him. They one thing NY is in dire need of is starting pitching ... and this is the guy they want.

"Matsuaka to Boston" is far too strong a headline.

4. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

A_F, I'll take that one.
    Opening day, 2007?
    Yankees Major League, 25-man roster?

5. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I'd take that wager as well.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

A 6-foot right-hander who throws five pitches (meaning he doesn't have one dominant one) and had some injuries this past season in Japan. All that for $100 million.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

If -- and it's still only an if -- the Red Sox bid $38-45 mill for the rights to negotiate with Matsuzaka (please, spell it correctly) there is no way he can be on the Yankees roster in 2007.

This is the procedure:

Any team interested submitted a bid by Thursday to MLB.
    MLB takes the HIGHEST BID ONLY and sends it to the Japanese team, not indentifying the US team only the dollar amount.
    The Japanese team decides whether to accept the bid. And they ain't saying no to about $40 mill.
    That MLB team then has 30 days to sign Matsuzaka to a contract. If they don't sgn him, they don't pay the rights fee and he MUST GO BACK to his Japanese team for another year.
    And I believe his rights are not tradable.

So if the Red Sox did, indeed, submit the highest bid, no one but the Red Sox can sign him this year.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So it's possible for the Red Sox (or any other team) to put in a really high bid, drag their feet for 30 days, get the money back and keep him from joining another MLB team?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hmmm ... that would be an interesting tactic, wouldn't it?

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't think they even pay the bid money until after they sgn him... and even then there have been rumors of teams renegotiating the bid amount after the player (I believe Ichiro was one case) has been signed to pay less for his rights.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

See: Soccer, transfer fees.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He'll be on the Ranger's opening day roster.

Draft saved Draft deleted