1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Matsuaka to Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Sacamano, Nov 10, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

All I said was IF it was true and the Red Sox did overspend to win the posting, then a big part of the reasoning was just to beat the Yankees on something. Never said they had actually done it. We don't know yet.

2. KP

KP Active Member

They wanted one of the high level prospects. There was no real talk of putting four C level prospects together like the Yankees got.

3. KP

KP Active Member

Also, the cash cow that is NESN. How much does that play in, is YES sending their signal to Japan?

The cash cow also doesn't spend. Latest commercial, looks kind of ESPNish. There are still no original ideas over there.
    They should redo the Steiner "follow me to freedom" one, that was my favorite.

4. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

I like this move by the Red Sox. I don't care about the price.

This hurts the Yankees because they can't get this guy.

It helps Boston because it should open up a new part of the world to draw players/fans from.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Boston get the money back if they don't sign Matsuaka? And, can't the Red Sox offer a reasonable contract and hope that Boras goes for it — knowing that Matsuaka will have to return to Japan if he doesn't accept?

If they can't negotiate a contract, Boston gets its money back and the Yankees have to wait another year to try to get Matsuaka.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Are you mad? When has Boras ever accepted a "reasonable" contract offer?

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Good take. You've got a chance to get an up on the Yankees in the arms race that is the AL East, it's a HORRIBLE year for free agent pitching and the Sox had dick for a rotation last year. Does anybody think these teams actually give two shits about how much any of this shit costs? It's a one-time hit and not a prolonged deal -- like the one the Yanks gave a declining Damon -- that they will get to look at and regret as the months go by. Plus, it energizes the fanbase after the shitty last 60 days of last season.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Re: Matsuzaka to Boston

Can we spell the dude's name right? It's Matsuzaka.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see if he throws the gyroball. And to see if it works on MLB hitters.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Meanwhile the Yankees trade Sheffield for 3 pitchers, including Humberto Sanchez, whom the Minor League News rated as the number 1 pitcher in the Minors in 2006.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Combine Sanchez with Philip Hughes, and suddenly the Yankees' farm system seems to be just fine. Too bad the Royals couldn't get Mats.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Maybe the reason Seibu hasn't responded yet is because the Royals actually won the bid and MLB decided it didn't want Mats going there so they pretended not to get that envelope and made the Red Sox or Yankees up their bids.

Draft saved Draft deleted