1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Masters degree in Journalism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boozeman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you have one. Didn't you major in journalism at Mizzou? I always thought of journalism masters degrees as something for people who majored in something else in college and then decided they wanted to pursue journalism, with some exceptions like trying to plug into the Northwestern, Missouri, Syracuse or Columbia networks after getting a J-degree elsewhere.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's a long story... I was able to get it in four years. I wanted to get it so I could teach later if I wanted.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Getting a Masters is a whole different world from undergrad on campus. I'd say 30-something is the norm in a lot of programs.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'll PM you a bit later. At work now.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I were to get a master's degree, it sure as hell wouldn't be in journalism.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It was fairly common knowledge that when our previous sports editor was hired from in-staff in the mid-'80s, the fact that he had an advanced degree totally tilted the playing field.

I don't know if it's that strong an advantage today. It was then.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If your goal is to be a newspaper sports editor, it might help.

I would suggest that you get a different goal.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This. This times 100,000.

9. jr/shotglass

Maybe. I'm not quite that fatalistic about the profession. But you knew that.

[/cuepiotr]

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There may still be newspapers and there may still be sports editors in 15 years. But I wouldn't got to grad school to get in line for one of those jobs.

11. Situation

Situation Member

I'm coming down the home stretch in completing a Master's (not in journalism) and I'm wondering how exactly it will help me in the job market and enhance my earning power.

However, the experience has really helped me become a better communicator, writer, presenter, listener, critical thinker, manager of time and overall professional. So, to me, going to grad school will be well worth the time and money spent.

Grad school is something you have to be totally dedicated to and want. The sole reason for going can't just be because you don't like your job and want a different one. If that is the case, attempt to seek other career options, in and out of journaism.

12. jr/shotglass

I think, especially in this business, those are the attributes employers are thinking of when they make advanced degrees a priority. And they aren't bad attributes.

Draft saved Draft deleted