1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts driving while using cell phone ban debated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 20, 2008.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

How is that any different than eating, or makeup, or disciplining your kids?

hell, those of you arguing that phones take your concentration...good luck ever having anyone else in your car that you're talking to. Or listening to the radio and singing along. Or, god forbid, actually having a kid or two in the backseat fighting.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

For whatever reason, it is different. Or to phrase it better, it cause people to act different. And drive poorly. Maybe concentrating or thinking about someone or something not physically there mentally takes them away from where they actually are. I don't know. But, the reality is there on the roadway that people having a cell phone conversation have prioritized actually operating a motor vehicle well down their list.

I'm glad you can handle it, ijag. I wish everyone else could as well. But, it's crystal clear on a daily basis, there are so, so many who can't.

Maybe this provides a business venture opportunity for someone: a driving and cell phone/texting school.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Visual evidence is overwhelming . . . folks slowing down . . . sliding to the edge of lanes (or beyond . . . ) . . . it's never-ending.

The observation that was made is correct. I can frequently tell by somone's
    speed and course that somebody's yakking away, from hundreds of feet away . . .
    before I can see the phone.

Without a doubt, many people can handle it.

Unfortunely, too many can't.

And most dangerously . . . are so self-deluded that they think their driving isn't affected.

Guess again.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's correct. It is difficult to carry on a conversation with someone while concentrating on driving. That is why one should spend most of the time concentrating on driving.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Me. I can confidently say I drive with two hands the majority of the time and the left one uses the turn signal. I know, call me a fossil. I find driving mostly relaxing and don't like distractions that I can't control.

Not being preachy, just answering your question. But I will be preachy in having the opinion that texting while doing 85 mph is ridiculous. The fact that you haven't had an accident while doing it doesn't justify it as safe, IMO.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Can I put you on hold a sec? Thanks."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

playthrough, as I've said before, I've memorized the keypad. I NEVER look at my screen as I'm texting. And I read super fast, so my eyes are off the road no longer than it takes anyone else to glance at their radio.

I will also say this: My texting while driving will drop SIGNIFICANTLY if not completely in 24-48 hours when my Voyager gets here. I won't be able to do it on a touchscreen, and I'm certainly not doing it on a full QWERTY keyboard while driving. So there.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're getting a Plymouth minivan?

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=3299

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So excited!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted