1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Massachusetts driving while using cell phone ban debated

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This is solve by inspection.

If you haven't seen celtalkers drive in an utterly-distracted, erratic fashion, you haven't been paying attention.

If you MUST call/talk/respond over a handheld, pull over to a safe spot at the first opportunity and do your business.

Quit endangering others to save eight seconds.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's the other problem that I run into all the time with people talking on their damn cell phones: one hand on the wheel, one hand on the cell and guess what?

They can't use their turn signal.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention they're generally in the left lane, have forgotten they need to be turning because of their enthralling phone convo, and now need to careen across three lanes of traffic in the space of about 1/2 a city block to make their turn.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh Christ, here we go again -- big daddy government is here to save us from ourselves -- and once again they are using the "public health and welfare" crap to give them the justification for doing it.

I've said it before, if you are going to ban talking on cell phones while driving, you better ban eating, doing make-up, changing clothes, etc. etc. etc. as well because those things -- which I see people do every single day are far more distracting than talking on a cell phone.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Who fucking uses a second hand to use their turn signal? Seriously?

I text. I talk. Hell, I even AIM while doing 85 on the highway. I have had ZERO accidents in the past five years.

God help me, I agree with zag. Cell phone talking is no more a danger than any of the other things he and someone else (buckweaver?) listed.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, because it's all about me, me, me,me and fuck everyone else who I'm endangering on the road.

And where I come from, all those other things can get you pulled over.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not true. Cell phone driving is more dangerous than drunk driving.

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-6090342-7.html

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and nobody's saying you can't talk on a headset to someone who calls you.

But if you have to fiddle with the thing with your hand(s) while you're driving . . .
    sure . . . piece of cake . . . but you only have to be wrong, once . . . then you're not so f'n smart, and someone else's life is diverted, for the worse.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I dare anyone to pass by a policeman while obviously engaged in changing clothes or putting on makeup. You WILL be pulled over.

And while eating is not recommended, it is NOT more distracting than a cell phone. Cell phone occupies your MIND. Putting some french fries in your mouth does not.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

All new cars should be equipped with the hands free bluetooth thingy with voice activation. C'mon, we have the technology.

I see people fiddling around with the headsets on the road - ugh.

Texting? Are you crazy? You don't wanna end somebody's life that way.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, when I said I didn't think it was too much to ask people to be aware of their surroundings, I was referring to people who are using cell phones while driving (and shouldn't be).
    I am in favor of the ban.
    Sorry for any confusion.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Driving is not a right. It is a privilege. Complaining about “rights” in this situation is extremely off base. That is why those whining about government intrusion cannot win this argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted