1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't be an asshole. Get off your ass and start a hashtag.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, they do.

So what, to use your word, makes them "cowards"?

As in "too cowardly" to shoot up an NRA office?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Classic.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Those situations are always predictable and never spontaneously happen.

BDC99 likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Where criminals are looking to shoot unsuspecting cops? I suspect those would be, yeah, rare.

I think cops would be safer and so would citizens. I think the gun, in the hand of mankind, is frankly that unsafe at this point. They just don't do us much good, and they do mostly bad.

I'm not anti-cop. I think cops, at this point, are trained for action movies and given a weapon just in case one breaks out. It's a bad model. And it trickles down, too.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Suicide is the ultimate act of cowardice. And so is taking others with you.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A surprise armed attack against unarmed college students in a school is pretty much the definition of shooting fish in barrel. Like the cowardly hunters who shoot herbivores with high powered firearms from a distance while they with a tree stand and bait animals.

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Suicide in all cases?

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that there seems to be no urgency for the media to identify the shooter. Does no one really want to know who did it and what his motive was?

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Guess they're waiting to notify the family?

Douglas County Sheriff: 10 dead, 7 injured in Roseburg shooting

The 20-year-old suspect in the shooting is believed to be a local Oregon man with a family in the area, a federal law enforcement official said.

Authorities were investigating whether the gunman, who is believed to have some connection to the school, specifically targeted victims, rather than engaging in random gunfire.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought it was strange, too. Maybe media should always wait 24 hours to identify. I'm tired of these assholes being celebrities. I'm pretty convinced there's s copycat component to this.

Draft saved Draft deleted