1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marvin Miller for HOF ???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 21, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Must be a Royals fan

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - I just do not see the postive impact that Marvin Miller brought to the game of baseball from a fan percpective.

I think the HOF and Veterans committee would lose a lot of credibility if he is elected.

The Hall is in a bit of a bind. I truly believe that they are trying to bring greater integrity to selection. process but cannot pull Miller off ballot since he has been on in past.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Real proof that the two of you have no fucking clue.

4. Boom_70

This is exhibit A of what can be a great discussion goes of the track.

Why make that statement? We both gave our opinion. Nothing was said that is hostile towards you.

Are you a voter? Have you ever read the criteria?

5. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

if you're a fan of the royal, pirates, or another barrel-scraping franchise, of course you have no love for miller. the changes he wrought paved the way for your team becoming quadruple-a.

if you're a fan of the yankees, red sox, or another penthouse-living franchise, miller was a godsend. he made it possible for your team to add the game's best players.

whether you like free agency or liked the old system's indentured servitude reserve clause, there's no denying that miller had a tremendous impact on mlb. definitely a HOFer in my book.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you understood the process, you'd know the veterans committe cannot just "pull Miller off the ballot." NOr is the Hall in a bind. Nor would anyone "lose credibility" for inducting the man who has had the greatest impact on the game in the past 60 years (since Jackie broke the color barrier in '47)
    If you understood that there is a HOF category for contributors, you'd understand that there is no way Miller should be kept out.

You claim to go the Yankee Stadium and root for Jason Giambi, Mike Mussina, A-Rod et al and yet you say Marvin Miller had no impact on the fans.
    Do you think the Yankees would have won in '77, '78, '96, '98', '99 2000 if there were no free agency. Do you not think Marvin Miller has had an impact on you, the Yankee fan?

7. Boom_70

Here is a list of those on 07 Veterans ballot:

Buzzie Bavasi Whitey Herzog Gabe Paul
    August Busch Jr. Bowie Kuhn Paul Richards
    Harry Dalton Billy Martin Bill White
    Charlie Finley Marvin Miller Dick Williams
    Doug Harvey Walter O'Malley Phil Wrigley

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, let's vote for a drunken piece of shit like Billy Martin, he really contributed greatly to baseball.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nobody has had a bigger impact on post-1948 baseball than Marvin Miller. A freer market has improved competition both on and off the field and fueled unprecendented growth over the past 35 years.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Stop telling us how big his impact was - no one is disputing this- and start making the argument that it was a positive impact.

11. Boom_70

I've read the criteria as posted on HOF site. I've also read that the Hall wanted to bring greater credibility to the veterans comittee selection process.

"impact on game" seems to be the operative term. Its open to debate whether this said impact can be both positive and negative.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

End of indentured servitude = positive impact

How the owners were able to get away with that for so long is a mystery.

Draft saved Draft deleted