1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marty: "LT is the finest running back to ever wear an NFL Uniform"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Dec 17, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sorry, Ragu, but Bo Jackson is the king of the holy-shit! moment -- in two sports. The run up the outfield wall, the four-homer game, the all-star display at Anaheim Stadium, the Brian Bosworth knockdown, the returns ... the man is the greatest athlete this nation has seen since maybe Jim Thorpe -- and how can anyone forget him in this greatest-running-back-ever conversation? Yeah, he did more than run the ball, but still. And throw in Red Grange while you're at it.

Maybe spnited can fill us in on the early years of Thorpe/Grange.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Lets not forget that Jim Brown is considered by many as the greatest lacrosse player of all time.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

UM, BYH, babe...as someone who sat in a living room screaming at the TV as Denver marched down the field because Marty chose to play prevent defense?

He most certainly can, and likely will, fuck this up. Just watch. And remember what you said today, and what I said today.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I am corrected. Twas one three homer game (in three at-bats) and another blast in his next game (after more than a month on the DL).

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OK, gotcha. Went and looked that up, 'cause I wasn't aware Bo had four HRs in four straight at-bats.

Hit three home runs off Andy Hawkins in the first five innings on July 17, 1990. Was injured in the sixth, replaced, and didn't have a chance to join Mays, Gehrig ... Whiten 8), among those with 4-HR games.

Made his return on Aug. 26, 1990. Hit a home run off Jim Campbell in his first at-bat in the second inning.

Gotta love Retrosheet. :D

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Jim Brown. A running back has never dominated football like Jim Brown did. Walter Payton was second and I would give Emmitt Smith the number three spot. Those three stand out above all others.

7. Chuck~Taylor

I can't argue with Payton and Brown, but I think Barry was better than Smith. Smith was great but he ran behind an o-line that was probably the best in the 90's.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

highlight generation loves barry sanders, there's a shock

9. Chuck~Taylor

Ok....but what I said was true.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

smith was a better all-around running back and football player

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Curtis Martin? Great consistency.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why the sorry? I would never take anything away from Bo Jackson. He was an amazing athlete. And yeah, he gave some serious holy shit moments.

It was kind of fleeting, though. As a football player, he played four partial seasons and he had limited touches in most games. He was mostly a change-of-pace to Marcus Allen, not a man being asked to carry the load.

Maybe it would have been different if Jackson had devoted himself entirely to football. But what Sanders did was way more remarkable to me. For one thing, he played 16-game seasons, not 10-game season, and he did it for more than four years. He was the entire offense for a really crappy team, so everyone came in geared just to stop him. And he still was a 10-year highlight film.

Draft saved Draft deleted