1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Martinsburg, WV

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by UNCGrad, Feb 3, 2010.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I posted this on the topics board, and I know it got some views there, but wanted to run it by here as well just in case.

From what I can gather, The Journal in Martinsburg, WV, hasn't officially replaced former Sports Editor Jeff Nations, who left for the Northern Virginia Daily in August. I know they have a guy up there still in sports who has a lot of SE experience, but does anybody know the situation? Is it just a temporary hiring freeze? Anybody? Anything?

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

This is how bad it gets...may not be the case here, but sounds like it could be similar.

One of the small papers in Oregon had their SE leave suddenly and is considering bringing in a part-timer/freelancer to produce stories and photos, while some overworked goat at the paper puts together the extra pages. Nothing like cutting all full-timers in a part of the paper that draws a key reader base.

Draft saved Draft deleted