1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marshall plane crash, get over it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I understand your thinking.

Also understand that the same effect can be achieved by yelling "FIRE!" in a crowded movie theater.

2. BrianM

BrianM Member

Yelling fire in a crowded theater is discouraged because it could potentially lead to people getting physically hurt, and because it could make people skeptical on the occasion that there is a real fire in the theater. Difficult to compare that to this article, which simply questions a ceremony that commemorates an event which doesn't at all directly affect any current attendee of this school.
    I think the guy makes some good points and makes them relatively astutely for a budding young writer. My guess is that most of the people outraged by it probably didn't bother to read the whole thing.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

People who are still alive had brothers and other family members in that crash.

A very large part of being a great writer is knowing what to write about and what not to write about.

I just hope this kid doesn't go to Kent State for grad school.

4. While we're at it, the Jews should just get over the Holocaust thing. It was 70 years ago, and who knows if it even happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted