1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marshall plane crash, get over it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Not where I live it hasn't, at least for some people.

2. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

Back when I worked at the school paper, we had (and still have) a great adviser that was gone by 5 p.m. and didn't know what was in the paper until the next day. I remember her saying that legally, she would be liable for anything that was printed if she had prior knowledge of it. So she steered clear of everything and was sure to ream you the next morning. I would think that's standard protocol at most universities.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

This is just an example of a kid who thinks he's God's gift to journalism and thinks that the world is standing at attention waiting for his brilliant prose on the latest topic of discussion.

I'm not hating. I'm being realistic.

In college, I thought the entire country was on the edge of its seat waiting for my latest 700 words on the New England Patriots and it wasn't until I graduated that I realized all the stories, all the photos, all the offense jokes, all the late-night cram sessions trying to put out a paper, all the movie nights, all the typos and delivery errors, and all the clashes with administration didn't mean a single thing in the real world.

At that age, we're all morons. Hopefully this kid will one day look back at this story with the same regret I have when I think back to the sports column I wrote about how LeBron James wasn't ready to jump to the NBA, would be a flash in the pan and would be better served playing at least two years in college.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fun trivia question, what major college was founded in one state but is now is located in another despite remaining in the same location?

A - Marshall, founded when state was part of Virginia.

5. Follow up on the kid's column in the Herald Dispatch.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x1102806298/Column-on-crash-ceremony-draws-criticism

Another folo from WSAZ .. this one is good too.
    http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Controversial-Column-Questions-Marshall-Memorial-Ceremony-179607851.html

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Equally disgraceful are the people who are threatening him and saying he should transfer. He's a 20 year old who made a stupid decision and offended people with poorly chosen words. And the response of some is to get violent or to make his life uncomfortable. Perhaps they'd like to write a column for the newspaper explaining their planned course of action, replete with address, phone number and head shot (profile pic as well, just to be thorough).

7. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

They hold a May 4 memorial every year, and this year a visitors' center was completed. The site is also listed on the National Register.

8. He admitted to posting this on his FB page.
    Ugh.

The radio interview if anyone is interested. I thought the radio hosts were pretty fair until the end.
    http://wrvc.podomatic.com/entry/2012-11-15T15_59_25-08_00

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What percentage of columnists at the largest newspapers in the United States have not progressed past that point?

10. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

This is what occurred to me too, that there's a young generation of writers who think bold and stupid -- even if ostensibly well-reasoned -- is what gets you a shot to become the next Bill Simmons. The fact that it's probably true doesn't help. Someone will admire the kid's balls and give him a job. Hopefully whoever that is will teach him not to be tone deaf.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Remember Shane Ryan's treatise on press row at the ACC Tournament? And where is Shane Ryan now?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Hmm, insulting sportswriters vs. tearing down the proudest and most solemn tradition in the community. You are not so good at analogies.

Draft saved Draft deleted