1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriott to change its newspaper policy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by trifectarich, Apr 13, 2009.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If you want a free newspaper at a Marriott hotel, you’ll have to ask for it from now on.

Bethesda-based Marriott International Inc. says it is reducing distribution of free guest newspapers, citing a 25 percent decline in demand by customers at its 2,600 U.S. hotels.

“I visit more than 250 hotels a year, and more often than not I am stepping over unclaimed newspapers as I walk down the hallway,” said CEO J.W. Marriott, Jr. in a statement. “This new program is more guest-focused.”

Starting June 1, Marriott’s full-service hotels will ask guests at check-in if they would like a complimentary morning paper. Members of its rewards program can automatically get their preferred paper by changing their online profile.

Starting next week, free newspapers will only be available in the lobby at non full-service hotels like Courtyard and Residence Inn. Marriott guests will be able to choose USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, or the local paper.

Marriott, which started offering guests free copies of USA Today 25 years ago, says it expects to reduce newspaper distribution by 50,000 papers a day, or 18 million papers a year.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

No, J.W., it's not a "more guest-focused" program if guests aren't getting something automatically anymore.

But it's hard to argue with the move. They must toss a staggering amount of unread papers.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's sort of guest focused because they save money, get the clutter out of the hallway and save time.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's a shame ... USA Today is nice to have handy in case you run out of toilet paper in your room. ;)

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As long as they're still providing it, I don't see the problem.

He's right about the unclaimed papers. There always seems to be a lot of them.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I've always wondered why they give EVERYONE a newspaper. When I'm on vacation, I'm not at the hotel, reading a newspaper. I might take it to a coffee shop for breakfast, but even then I'm not spending that amount of time on it.

Maybe if I'm at a hotel long-term, I'd read them in the evening. I dunno.

Seemed like an awful big waste of money, to me.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because the people grabbing it on their way out the door to catch a plane loved having it right there, and Marriott has been all about the business traveler.

But, from reading this story, the business traveler who are all platinum members already can just click a box on the Web site and still get their papers, so it's really no lose for them.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I do grab the USA Today when I'm on the road. I don't read very much of it, but I do read it over breakfast or when I get back to the room.

In Canada, it's usually the Globe and Mail at the doorsteps (in Québec, I get the Globe and Mail and La Presse). I do make a point to read it when I can, because it's a great read. The hotel in which I'm staying as I write this doesn't leave them at the door; there's a stack on the table (of both the Globe and the local rag) by the elevators.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So do the USAT circ numbers take a hit with this move?
    I'm pretty sure every paper placed in a hotel room is considered paid (sponsored) circ.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Somehow I can see the folks running McPaper not thrilled about this move.

Too freaking bad.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

USA Today has already lost circulation because of the travel slowdown. This won't help.

http://online.wSportsJournalists.com/article/SB123854670808076289.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is really bad news for USA Today - Marriott has what a quarter of the business traveler hotel market?

Draft saved Draft deleted