1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriott going 100% smoke-free

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Starman at work:

[​IMG]

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I mean, it's not like I go around threatening to shove people's crack pipes up their asses...

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you smoke in a non-smoking hotel room, I was under the impression most hotels will hit you with a $200 or $300 cleaning bill.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

JR --
    I've seen signs to that effect, but I've never seen it happen.

And before anyone asks, the only time I've done it is when I reserved a smoking room and did not get one -- because they all were full.

5. Mutah

Mutah Member

A Marriott once tried to charge me $150 for such a thing. My reply: I didn't know it was a non-smoking room, and since I reserved a non-smoking room and the room had ashtrays, how was I supposed to know otherwise? Long story short, I was in a smoking room.
    I received an apology and large discount on next stay.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, and I have an electric TV and all that. Nice try.
    When I'm in a restaurant and you're smoking nearby, you're ruining my pleasure. So go outside and light up. You want to kill yourself with that filthy habit, have at it. But I'm tired of having to try to eat my filet while somebody else is lighting himself on fire.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That red meat's gonna kill you, you know. And don't expect me to let my tofu get cold while I give you CPR.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Let me get you a Kleenex.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So if you cough excessively within earshot, and it annoys me, I can hit you? If you fart and I can smell it, I can kick you in the ass? If you forgot to put on deodorant this morning, I can cut you under the arms? If I'm morally opposed to the consumption of alcohol, can I break the bottle over your head if you drink around me?

For Christ's sake, people. If you're somewhere smoking is not allowed, then fine, ask them to stop. Most smokers don't smoke in non-smoking places, at least not intentionally. But if you're somewhere where it is allowed, or you're outside, then move. Or live with it.

Breathing in the smoke from one or two cigarettes is not going to cause you to wake up the next morning with lung cancer and six weeks to live. How many restaurants are even left that have smoking sections? I haven't been in one in years.

It's like you wander around, waiting for someone to smoke so you can be offended.

And no, I don't smoke.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In all seriousness, there are people who consider your filet to be murder and would contend that you eating it in front of them is ruining their pleasure. Guess you'll end up outside eating your beef with the smokers.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You must not go out to eat much. Applebees, Chilis, etc, etc, etc, all have smoking sections, usually in the middle section around the bar area. And guess what tables are around the perimeter of that smoking area?

The problem with smokes is most of them don't care where they put their burning cancer stick when they aren't puffing it. Usually it's over their shoulder, and the ashes dropping into my plate. Which is proof that even smokers can't stand the smell of their own smoke.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To be fair, in retrospect, I was thinking rather quickly when I wrote that, and I forgot that I live in a state with some pretty strict smoking regulations, including no smoking in restaurants. But that's a trend I think is going to continue anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted