1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married people going against each other on a beat? A conflict of interest?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know of a couple incidents where beat writers for opposing papers or websites are dating, but I know of one where the parties involved recently got married.

Conflict of interest?

2. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I don't see how it would be. It's not as though they are covering each other, so I'm not sure where the conflict of interest is. It may actually lead to somewhat of a rivalry between the two, so I'd be more worried over divorces.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My attitude is that meeting your spouse is a hell of a lot more important than some job, but I could see some places having a problem with it.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

absolutely it's a conflict of interest. they should figure out which one asks off the beat. assuming their bosses know the sitch, i'd imagine one of them will be taken off the beat and moved to another.

aside to anyone arguing otherwise: are you kidding me? we're not just talking about two sportswriters on competing papers getting married; it's two people on the SAME BEAT! c'mon, SportsJournalists.com, do we no longer care about competing at full force? no way these two can.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree with you to an extent shockey, but sadly the idea of competing at full force doesn't really exists anymore,. not when major papers in the same market are sharing content ... as you and I well know.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

James Carville and Mary Matalin wonder what the big deal is.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Terrible idea.

Just think of all the have-you-beat-your-wife? jokes you'd have to hear.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of want to know what sort of beat it is. If we're talking high school sports in Bumeff, E. Jabumfuk, I doubt there are that many scoops to compete over. I think it's almost impossible to cover a small town, or a town you live in or graduated high school from, without acquiring some potential conflicts of interest. But if we're talking a college or pro beat, then I do think there would be conflict and ethical issues raised.

9. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

I wonder if Lesley Visser ever scooped Dick Stockton on a story.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Pretty much my thoughts. Is it the best idea in the world, probably not. But it if worked out that way, oh well.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"Tell me who your source is, or you're sleeping on the couch."

Draft saved Draft deleted