1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Married guys - yes or no on the wedding band?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, May 20, 2008.

?

Married guys, are you wearing a wedding band right now?

1. yes

84.7%
  2. no

15.3%
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap, that made me laugh.

I've been married six years this June and I used to take the ring off at night to put on the hand cream I use. I thought it might damage the ring, but after a few times venturing out w/o the ring, I started keeping it on and now it rarely comes off. Sometimes I'll be sitting in the chair (like now) and I'll absent-mindedly take it off, twirl it between my fingers, put it on another finger, etc. A few times, I've dropped it and not noticed until hours later, when I frantically dig deep inside the chair, pull the chair out, turn it upside down, etc until I find it.

Once I got really fat, I couldn't do that anymore. But now that I'm losing weight, the ring is very loose. I'd like to wait til I get to my goal weight to get it re-sized, but I'm not sure it can wait that long.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Is that before or after you put in your curlers, Alice?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I only take my ring off when swimming and maybe doing the dishes (i.e. when there's a drain and I don't want to chance it slipping off and being lost). Otherwise, I'm almost always wearing it.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Question, especially for you guys who don't wear it all the time: Does your wife wear her ring all the time?

Just yesterday I found out a young woman at work is married, but she doesn't wear a ring. Not sure why, but I think she's the first non-pregnant married woman I've ever known to not wear a ring. It just seems like something that's not optional for women like it is for men, especially after reading this thread.

6. ArnoldBabar

Can't say I've ever known a woman who doesn't wear one. I think part of it is men have an excuse because of all the manly man things we do where it could get in the way. And the woman's ring is the big deal -- the man's is sort of utilitarian and unremarkable.

7. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Same here, even down to the temporarily losing it and finding it in the trunk of the car. I found mine a full day later. It was cold out and the ring is already sort of loose.

I don't wear watches, chains, rings or anything. I'm just not a jewelry guy.

Married a year, and the wife has toned down the bitching from the first few months.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Then you are lucky Smokey. Took me over 10 years to tone down my bitching about hubby not wearing his ring. An additional 8 years later, really doesn't even matter anymore I guess. Though mine have never been off in all 18 years. I guess it really does come down to the girl/guy thing.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My mother never replaced hers when it fell off while she was mowing. Something about it being a tool of the patriachy to keep women down, although I think she mostly said that to tweak dad (who couldn't wear his because he worked in a chemical plant).

Course now she can't wear rings at all. One of the side effects of her autoimmune disorder is water retention, so she gains up to two ring sizes in a day.

If I ever find a man crazy enough to marry me, I won't wear a ring. They drive me nuts when I try to type.

10. Mine didn't used to wear hers to work because they once slipped off into the biohazard trash bin. Now that she's pregnant, they fit snugly.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

One more reason cats are better than babies! ;)

12. ArnoldBabar

You know, if you want to find someone crazy enough to marry you, you have to stop saying things like that. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted