1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage Proposals, Weddings and Divorces

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 13, 2013.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Living in a military community as large as the one here at Ft. Campbell, someone's ALWAYS coming home. Our division is deployed so much that units are spread across the year each time we deploy, so welcome home ceremonies take months. But the one that put me over the top on this was the ESPN special a while back. It really drove me over the edge.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's awesome.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good for you.

Your attitude reminds me of this line from the Departed:

If we're not gonna make it, it's gotta be you that gets out, cause I'm not capable. I'm fucking Irish, I'll deal with something being wrong for the rest of my life.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Attention ladies, Rick Stain is available, and we all know what that means. RSW, so get in line.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Speed, and everyone else! Nobody has ever made me happier than those two.

6. partain

partain Member

I don't post often and nobody really knows me here, but I have a story that you'll appreciate.

My wife and I were engaged while I was still in college. Just after she graduated and took a job at a small daily, I wrecked my car. I was a 20-year-old kid with two wrecks and several speeding tickets on my record. My insurance agent mentioned that it would be a lot cheaper if I was married.

We were set to be married in December and this was the middle of October. I called my wife at work on a Tuesday and said, "Hey, want to get married on Friday?" So, we did. We were married in the newspaper office where she had worked for all of a week. No friends or family, just her co-workers. The publisher gave her away and the sports editor took photos.

Two months later, we got married again at the ceremony we'd been planning and all of our family and friends showed up for that one. Almost 20 years later, very few of them remember that our actual anniversary is in October.

After the Friday afternoon wedding, she headed off to cover a football game (as everyone on that staff did on Friday nights) and I went to work at the state-wide newspaper where I was an agate clerk at the time. The next day, we went car shopping to replace the wrecked car.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

^that guy is doing life right

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Did one of the guys at her paper propose to his girlfriend at your wedding?

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It is *finally* finalized. For a completely uncontested divorce in which we agreed on everything, that took forever.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You should see how long it takes if even one of the parties decides to contest everything and agree on nothing. My brother could tell you some horror stories.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I proposed on Christmas, and wanted it as low key as possible, because I personally believe that a moment like that is for the two people involved, not anybody else.

I especially believe that after what happened to a current co-worker. She'd been dating her fiance since college and they were together for something like 8 years before he proposed. He apparently sent her on a scavenger hunt all over town, made her spin in circles while saying "I love you," and God knows what else... and yes, I'm completely aware of how ridiculous it sounds.

Anyway, they were married in July. I knew it wouldn't last, primarily because she screwed another co-worker (a married guy twice her age), and because any proposal THAT elaborate, the groom is trying to convince someone, most likely himself. I didn't go, because I didn't want to and because I had a previously planned trip.

Anyway, she announced in November she was getting divorced. About two days after that she started a relationship with another recently divorced co-worker, though this guy is her age.

Wheee.... gossip is fun.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Marriage is fleeting but divorce is forever.
    Make sure you do the latter right.

Draft saved Draft deleted