1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marriage Proposals, Weddings and Divorces

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Sep 13, 2013.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think I can contribute to this thread on multiple levels. Some of you may remember my proposal to a woman on Mount Kilauea in Hawaii. It was a wonderful moment and a joyous occasion. It quickly came unraveled under a haze of booze and physical abuse, which I'm sorry to say I was on the receiving end of.

One wonderful thing that came out of that debacle, though, was my amazing son.

Two months after he was born, I reconnected with a girl from my summer job as a teenager. We had a great history together, but timing had never been quite right for us to make a relationship of it.

Well, we went out early in summer of 2012 for drinks to catch up and I laid it all out for her in the first 10 minutes. I had a two-month old son, a crazy ex, I had recently been laid off and was working two part time jobs, including one in sports, which meant I wasn't around much at night. She didn't run out the door.

She's been by my side throughout a bitter custody battle (which, fortunately, has gone in my favor) and has been the most loving and attentive partner and mother I could possibly have asked for. When you're a single dad - especially one fighting for custody - there are so many things beyond yourself you have to consider when it comes to being with someone. I left our first date believing I would marry her. I left her first meeting with my son knowing I would.

Fortunately, she said yes.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

The SLC proposal is outstanding, especially because you have to consider there was time where that couple thought marriage was out of their reach because they both have penises.

Never saw the Amy's Song before. Made me teary-eyed. So much love.

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Great story, Pern

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Love that, pern. :)

This has always been my favorite wedding performance, just to imagine all these guys spending hours having to listen to Bieber to plan it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9XBYHrwtk

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Wonderfully cute kid, pern. And super outcome for you!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So far, everything's going really well. She finally moved out yesterday, and we've had no problems coming to an agreement and she's living up to everything she says she will. The finances are split.

I'm honestly happier than I've been in at least five years. That's a good sign that maybe I should have said something a lot sooner instead of biting my tongue, trying to be a good husband and counting down the years till death did us part.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My older brother just married (No. 2 for him). We have a much younger half brother who brought his long-time girlfriend to the wedding. Most of us had not met her before and we all love her. They really are great together.

That said, he told my older brother that he might propose to the girlfriend at the reception (I didn't hear about this until much later) and my older brother thought it was a great idea. Apparently, he had really loaded up on the stupid pills that morning.

In the end, little brother decided against it, more because he didn't feel like he was ready that day than anything. My older brother is VERY lucky because my new sister-in-law would have lost her mind if somebody pulled that at her wedding.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never ... and, I repeat, NEVER! do anything at a wedding that will steal the thunder from the bride and groom -- particularly the bride.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tony and I don't agree on a lot of stuff but he's 100% right.

Anyone who proposes to their partner during someone else's reception/wedding is a douchebag.

Tacky beyond belief

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

:)

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

the entire first act of 'The Deer Hunter" disagrees with you...not only a wedding, but a send off for the boys plus Walken pops the question and then DeNiro runs naked through the streets.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Wait, when did this happen?

Draft saved Draft deleted