1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Warner Running For Senate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Politico reporting that Mark Warner will run for the US Senate seat being vacated by John Warner. That'll make it 52-48 at least. Maine and New Hampshire I suppose could make it 54-46? Colorado 55-45?

What's that about a lasting Republican majority? Or the importance of appeasing Joe Lieberman? Old news you say?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The quicker the Dems in the Senate can stop having to kiss Lieberman's ass, the better we'll be.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the Ole Miss fan trying to tell me how great his team played after it fell behind 35-7.

The Democrats have cast their lot with the losing side of history. It will take a while, of course, but they will – within my lifetime – be as hard to find as Whigs and Libertarians.

Another two years of a Dem controlled Senate and their approval rating may be down to less than 5 percent.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Losing side of what? A war of choice that most of the country sides with them on? Trying to improve life for the middle class?

What fantasy world do you live in?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The great inside-politics story of the next few two-year election cycles will be to just what degree the GOP will be able to obfuscate their blow-big-business/screw-the-middle-class/endless-war intermediate-term agenda.

If the broad populace buys into their tapdance, we deserve everything we get.

The Constitution . . . remember it?

We had better.

6. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Yes, Henry, please call every GOP Congressman and tell them to run in 2008 on that message. If sure they'll turn and race to the blast fax to get it out.

Mark Warner runs, Dem pickup
    If Shaheen runs in NH, Dem pickup
    If Kerrey runs in Nebraska, Dem pickup

54-46 right there.

I don't like the GOP's chances in Colorado (and remember, the Dem convention is there). Collins and Coleman are going to have trouble. The most vulnerable Dem is Landrieu, and Cook and Rothenberg have even that seat as leaning D.

57-43? 58-42? It's possible.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . though I have ZERO doubt that if Hil wins, she'll raise a lot of backs, and '10 will be good business for even the modern-version, knuckledragging, "aren't-the-little-people-SUCKERS?" GOP . . .

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If they go after Tim Johnson's seat -- which is their best shot at a pickup -- I think it will backfire on them.

Depends who runs, though.

I'd like to think Coleman is a dead man walking, but he is a survivor, if nothing else. Franken or Ciresi will have to take it from him.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That story doesn't say he's running for senate. It says many expect he'll say that but also talks about VP and Guv again. I didn't take away that senate was a done one.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The one where what happens in the next year, or even everything that has happened in the last 10 years, is just a speck on a fly's ass in The Great Scheme.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You mean The Great Scheme during which a collection of humorless assholes prevail?

I'll pass on that, thanks.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

So you admit that you live in a fantasy world? Good, overcoming denial is the first step to recovery.

Draft saved Draft deleted