1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Teixeira

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 17, 2008.

?

What team do you think Mark Teixeira ends up signing with?

1. Red Sox

21 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Angels

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Orioles

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Nationals

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. Yankees

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sabathia was never the Angels' top priority. It has always been Teixeira.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I also think the Nats have more problems than would be solved by signing Teixeira. I also think $22.5 million per year would be better served filling holes, particularly in starting pitching and the bullpen (fuck you very much Jim Bowden for trading Jon Rausch!). They need more hitting than one big bopper. Instead of pitching around Ryan Zimmerman, teams would pitch around Teixeira. And they've got to catch the friggin' baseball and make routine plays.

The Nats have some talent in the farm system, but they're several years away. And we don't even know if all or any of the players are going to be even major league starters yet. I don't think a Teixeira signing solves enough of the Nats problems, but he would solve one glaring deficiency.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Agreed--the Nats should spread their money around to a few guys, since they have so many holes.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Part of value for a team is whether fans will pay to see the guy play. Teixara is a nice player but I would not go out of my way to see him play.

Manny - now that is another story.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

To me, Teixeira is a secondary star. He's a very good player, but not the guy that a team can be built around. And like Boom said, Teixeira is not a draw. People aren't going to go out of their way to pay to watch him.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Up to seven Nats voters now and still no one has said why.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'd pay to see Elijah Dukes play before I'd pay to see Teixeira

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

But because he's from the area, he might have that kind of effect in Baltimore.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

They are sucking up to you, Moddy...

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I wanted to give you hope.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I said earlier on the thread that I could see the Orioles signing him because he's from Baltimore.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I could see it too, but I don't think the O's are upping their offer, so Tex is going to have to accept lower pay to play there.

Draft saved Draft deleted