1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Teixeira

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 17, 2008.

?

What team do you think Mark Teixeira ends up signing with?

1. Red Sox

21 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Angels

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Orioles

8 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Nationals

13 vote(s)
    20.3%
  5. Yankees

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I would. I'd be quite OK.
    Tell me, what holes do they have? I'm not trying to be smug and say there aren't some. There are - but he fills more than one of them.

I'm curious about the five who voted for the Nats thus far. Why? Do you seriously think he'll go there?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Olsen, Lannen, Redding, Balester, Martis.

That's the Nats present starting rotation. Only one, Lannen, had a sub-4 ERA last season (3.91).

You have to have strong front-line starting pitching to compete. If that rotation stands as it is, the Nats will not.

The eight teams that went to the playoffs last season were in the top 11 in team ERA during the regular season.

3. Moderator1

Olsen and Lannan will be in there for sure. Redding has been non-tendered. He won't be back. They like this Jordan Zimmermann kid. They have first dibs in the draft and will take Strasburg. Balestar has a chance to be good, it would be nice if he could stay in AAA a year. Same with Martis.
    They'll add one more pitcher somehow.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, so is the idea that they throw a lot of money at Teixeira now, and then field a competitive team in three years?

To me, that's not money well spent.

5. Moderator1

I was thinking more in two.

Two years ago, Nats won 73 games. They weren't good. They didn't suck. Injuries and some other crap (much of it self inflicted/bad play) conspired to ruin last season. I believe the Nats can be in the 75-80 range this year with better injury luck, better years by a couple of players (but not years they're not capable of) and development of a couple of key prospects. In 2010, with a strong draft and Strasburg in tow, perhaps. Perhaps. Teixeira speeds up the time table.

The Rays are every dog's best friend. They give hope to the downtrodden. The Nats pitch should have been: Dude, we're the next Rays. You complete the puzzle. Here's a shitpile of money.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

One GM says he thinks the Red Sox are in the lead:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/12/gm_sox_in_lead.html

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or as Mad Dog said today on his show:

" Mark just sign a contract. Would you please. Tell us when its done. We don't care otherwise."

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Team that signs him will come to regret it.

There's less to him than meets the eye, I think.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He is Sean Casey with a little more pop.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Try Casey with a lot more pop.

Casey's career high in home runs was 25 and he reached 20 only three times. He never drove in 100 runs in a season, though he had 99 twice. He has 130 home runs for his career, which is just about done.

Teixeira has five consecutive season over 30 home runs and 100 RBI, including 43 HR and 144 RBI in 2005. He had 26 home runs and 83 RBI as a rookie in '03. He is 28 years old and already has 203 career home runs.

Teixeira probably isn't worth the money he is going to get, but he is better than you are giving him credit for.

11. Moderator1

Another vote for the Nats.
    That's six folks who owe me a 'splaination!

12. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

I want to know who the lone vote for the Yankees came from. Quite a few votes for the Angels, too. Not suprising considering the Angels top priority was Sabathia.

Draft saved Draft deleted