1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark McGwire scoop coming + info & opinions (READ)!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John D. Villarreal, Jan 4, 2007.

?

Do you think Mark McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Yes, but not first ballot

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. Maybe

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. No

30 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

But what if we're offered a gift certficiate to Worthington's? Is it OK to talk then?

Guests of the prosecution receive a gift certificate to Worthington's. Worthington's: The best in men's wear since 1877.

2. Spnited, did you hijack BYH's handle?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If you're called to testify, just make up a reason why the cause is so noble that it's above the law.

I'm sure the court will understand.

4. KP

KP Active Member

I'm guessing with the vote being announced on Tuesday, this may be a case of too little too late. Though it will definitely be kept in mind for next winter.

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Dyepack - I know but you gotta try to get the truth out anyway, right?

For those that know my bro &/or give me props - thanks a lot!

For those that say my post is "too long/hard to understand" uh ok - I thought you guys were journalists and worked with words - my mistake - lol.

For those trying to make lame jokes - don't quit the day job your humor is weak at best. Although, I realize in this advent of Cold Pizza, Around the Horn, and whatever pseudo-racist played out predictable stereotypical garbage that Scoop passes off as a column and ESPN.com prints that many sports J's fancy themselves as part-time David Letterman's, but most are not. Nor is it to say these shows are bad - they could be better and are all carbon copies. PTI is the best and is a good show albeit it suffers from the limitations and biases of its hosts but it is quite solid nonetheless.

Seeing the Chicanary and outright clownery of "serious journalists" trying to be entertaining and funny is painful at best. If you want to be funny fine - but be funny. If you want to be serious then act serious. but seeing a person who acts like a clown (and a bad clown) turn around and opine like some King Solomon on Mark & the "integrity of the game" is weak.

I mean bottom line is its sports which = entertainment (i.e. not world peace or rocket science). Thus, if you all act like clowns on TV to advance your career and "get over" with the audience why the heck should we take you seriously when you say that Mark put a "black mark (no pun) on the game" when he never tested positive for anything and its just sports (which have always had tons of bad apples and controversy (PS nobody cares))? Uh oh...yeah that's what I thought.

The point is this overhyped "insta-morality" of the 24/7 news cycle is tired. With every pundit jumping to the most wild conclusions and proclamations with almost zero evidence (kinda like in Mark's case). See the Duke Rap...err bum rap case - gee that swung around in a hurry. I guess evidence and the facts matter - but don't let that get in the way of a "good story" right?

But I digress.

Look, who cares right because soon enough I will have the video up on You Tube and those that can't/won't read won't have to it will all be there to see.

Oh yes, one last thing. I know ALL about the Mark testifying thing (as will come out in video) - as I said I have scoops to reveal & will do so as I designated at my choosing. My point is not that he did not have to go (come on Congressional Subpoena! What choice do you have?), or do his best - rather that it was less about the truth then about the performance (honestly, for both sides of the podium and audience (no offense to my Congressional friends but I know how it works)). Mark was not ready for that nor was he any good at that - NEVER has been & what the hell is wrong with that?

Yet, you think Giambi is great. You remember Giambi right? He's the guy who confessed and got busted with MAJOR stuff. Look, I know Jason, have worked with him, and like him. I was sad that he used drugs, but am proud of him stepping up & dealing with it. However, the contrast between how the media deals with Mark and Jason is uh...revealing and unfair. I mean Jason is basically absolved of all "sins" now...interesting.

Let's be real straight this is WAY less about the truth, the "kids", the game, or fairness, and is so much more about Mark shinning some of you for years & not giving YOU your stories...and now its payback time. Look, I know how it works. I mean come on the smartest person in the clubhouse is the Sports J right - lol? Even if they don't have a degree - lol.

Anyway, again I did not come on here to bicker with anyone & no one needs a lecture from me - I just want to make some points to get you to think.

Moreover I am here to just deliver news that I would think is pretty valuable being that I passed up a lot of offers for interviews before - but hey if you don't want to do your jobs that is on you as I am giving you all an opportunity for a groundbreaking story. A serious story that goes beyond the cliche's and easy routes and goes into serious depth. You know the kind of story you could get noticed for, make a difference, and maybe even win an award.

Look, It does not affect me as I will get this story out regardless and the truth will be told. The You Tube video will just be the tip of the iceberg.

This story goes so far beyond Mark and yes I am willing to talk to Congress or anyone about it & I am a bit more loquacious than Mark.

Again, your choice.

In the meantime if you want to see something cool on me check this out

It was an off day and no where close to my best but should make the point - you don't need to be big or take drugs to be great. I know what I am doing. Again, if you guys cared you would get the real message out that there are ways to do it right & clean.

Thanks again,

John

6. John D. Villarreal

KP,

Yes, your right. I feel bad that I was not able to do something earlier on this to try to educate voters regarding this vote & my brother was ALL over me about this.

Unfortunately, while I love Big Mac - I have a life too and my own responsibilities to my clients and family and just could not find the time. To many deals were too pressing this Q.

Moreover, the reality is I truly doubt I could have changed anyones mind this vote. Honestly, if I thought I could have I would have moved Heaven and Earth and made the time. But the truth is I think far too many were on the "hype bandwagon" to "send a message" via Mark's carcass this year and we needed to get past that.

Now that we will be past it and I am 100% certain Mark is not getting into the HOF this year maybe some can stop and think...hmm what did we accomplish...err nothing.

Then with my contributions forthcoming and another year of revelations and failed tests perhaps we can get some better perspective and Mark can get a fair look.

All I can say is it is going to be pretty interesting to see how the same voters/writers are going to deal with Barry Bonds when he breaks the record. You guys remember him right? Do you have your asterisks ready or are we ready to move past that? Does he go to the HOF or is he part of the "steroid era" (whatever that is & even funnier as if we were past that - lol)

What did I tell so many of you last year that was on the record? Do you remember? Yeah, it was that people had NO IDEA how many drugs are in top sports and that it is so messed up now that:

1.) testing is a joke

2.) Top athletes know how to beat tests

3.) Major drug crackdowns would clean out many top sports

4.) That yes your favorites also likely use something

5.) That Amphetamines (long used in MLB by most) are FAR more dangerous than most steroids - hey where are the asterisks for the old timers?

6.) That this was going to get worse before it gets better & lots of people will get caught. Yet, much like the Savings and Loan collapse when a scandal gets too big it gets swept under the rug because we can't ruin all professional sports (read $$$ for all including Sports J's & networks) right? I think we all remember "scab" football during the strike and what that did to ratings and revenues. These top athletes are investments & commodities to be marketed - you kill that and everyone loses. Not saying its right but it is a fact.

7.) New drugs & genetic engineering are WAY crazier & coming to a theater near you real soon.

8.) It will never stop unless real safe alternatives are given to athletes

9.) What is "cheating" or not becomes almost indiscernible in many instances and there should be no arbitrary standard.

Well, a bit over one year later it looks like I am a prophet huh?

Guess I knew something.

Anyway, more in the video

But yeah I feel bad I did not try - but no it would not have matter this vote.

John

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<b>"Seeing the Chicanary and outright clownery of "serious journalists" trying to be entertaining and funny is painful at best.</b>

Aw, don't want to pain you, so how about you wander over to youtube and just stay there?

8. John D. Villarreal

Smasher,

Dude - your barely worth replying too.

Let's see:

1.) "daily" sports J's Q's (typically going something like "how did the ball feel today Mark? - whooo there is a REAL Rubics Cube - this could take a while - lol) & mostly from local no name sports J's now = congressional testomony on live nationwide TV with a battery of lawyers on both sides under oath.

You know your right!

Please.

I know you have a real HIGH opinion of yourself but give it a rest and be honest. If you were in that hotseat you would likely cra@ your pants smasher. Speaking of that how are your buddies Mark Fainaru-Wada and Lance Williams doing?

Huh, not so fun when your under the gun is it. Hey I thought those guys knew how to answer Q's right? That's there job right? A good reporter knows how to get a story without breaking the law right?

Exactly.

2.) Now your making fun of You Tube. Please. Oh you mean the You Tube whose founders are rich, or maybe the You Tube that got bought for $1.5B by Google, or maybe the You Tube that has a bigger audience than you, or perhaps the You Tube that is always used (both ways) by most major TV outlets, or the You Tube that is the latest hottest thing in media that everyone is trying to copy? That You Tube? That's what I thought.

3.) Your implied Q/attack on why am I here - free country and freedom of press (your not for that are you? You want to be in control and limit access to "tell" people only what you want them to know (maybe why you hate You Tube)). Basically, because I have a story and my brother posts here and it seemed a very RELEVANT audience. You should be happy as I am helping you do your job.

4.) You don't like my story and posts no worries, then you won't get the scoop - others will & will benefit. Moreover, no one makes you read this post or reply. Although, I realize you like the attention and are just trying to get others to not read. At least I am honest with my intentions.

Dude whatever,

Try opening you mind to new real info (even if it doesn't fit your clicks party-line)

Also, don't dish it out if you can't take it mr. whiner - sorry most Sports J's are not funny, etc. If you don't like it then learn how to be legitimately funny - how about that?

For the record guys I respect and will talk to on this subject:

Tim Brown
    Jim Rome
    Jason Whitlock
    AP Sports Editor (name escapes me for the moment but great guy)
    Most of the Fox Sports gang
    Tony K
    Bernie Goldberg or Arman K (did an excllent peace recently) of Real Sports
    Mike Golic
    Deon Sanders
    Michael Irvin
    Peter Gammons
    Steve Gardner
    Rest of ESPN - it depends on the show/interviewer - some yes, some no

There are a lot more but that is a good start

Anyway Smasher - you want to hate on me hate away - lol.

John

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Whitlock deserves you.

10. RokSki

RokSki New Member

:) Ha ha.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You are = you're.
    Your = your.

Fucken' eh. ::)

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Yeah, grammar is not my bro's strong suit. I guess you can tell who's the editor in the family, huh? Ha ha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.