1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark MacGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Guys, while we're discussing hitting coaches, can we all remember that Brook Jacoby (career .270) is a hitting coach for a team that made the playoffs?

And that Steve Wojciechowski teaches the big men at Duke?

For some reason, coaching does NOT seem to be something built on what you accomplished but instead on what you know and can teach.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is absolutely true. Larry Bird's Pacers teams did well the couple of seasons he coached, but he supposedly had a lot of trouble adjusting to the fact that he couldn't tell his players to just go out there and be Larry Bird. In baseball, many of the best coaches were career minor leaguers who may not have oozed with talent, but mastered all the little things about the game.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Why hire MacGwire? Mattingly knows way more about hitting than MacGwire.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

During his career, Bonds was famous for snubbing teammates who asked for hitting advice, based on the logic that he might be helping a future opponent.
    Helping people as a hitting coach doesn't seem to be something he's suited for.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If I am, it's news to me.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

About the only person in the Bay area interested in having Barry Bonds as a batting coach is ... Barry Bonds. On top of that the Giants have won two of the last three World Series titles under the tutleage of Hensley "Bam Bam" Meulens.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think that Berry Bonds would be a good hitting coach.

8. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You guys are criticizing Bonds for not giving hitting advice to opponents???

Whatever team hires him will take a PR hit but they will score 1,000 runs.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The stupid ... it hurts my brain.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

He teaches them how to flop.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Since Jeter's range will be even more limited from the broken ankle, he should just retire. Imagine what Jeter AND Bonds could do as co-hitting coaches. Man, that team would score 2,000 runs.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yankees pick up C Eli Whiteside from the Giants today ... but just think how much better the Yankees will be, since Whiteside was in Barry's mighty aura.

(do I really have to add blue font?)

Draft saved Draft deleted