1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark MacGwire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MankyJimy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

See what happens when we try to have a real discussion on a Manky thread? His posts get even dumber.

Not that Riptide's are much better. McGwire must have studied the game, but he's not sure if Bonds could or not? Rip, you really know nothing about Bonds, do you?

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Everyone says Ichiro could hit loads of HRs if he wanted. Why can't the opposite be true of McGwire?

3. outofplace

And Manyk proves my point again.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I think Bonds is the greatest player of the past 40 years.
    I'm sure he could teach hitting if he had the patience. Does he have the patience?

5. outofplace

That isn't what you posted before. You assumed McGwire had studied the game, but your post about Bonds questioned what he would tell a hitter. Bonds wasn't a player who got by on his natural talent (and chemical enhancements) alone. He's a smart guy and he devoted that part of his talent to the game, too. Assuming he wouldn't be smart enough to realize the hitters he worked with don't have the natural gifts he had just doesn't fit.

Would Bonds ever actually have the interest to do it? That's a good question. The ability? Even after a small sample size of success for McGwire, I'd still put more faith in Bonds' ability to teach young hitters if he ever actually chose to do it.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Outofplace agrees with me that Bonds would be an excellent hitting coach. I just wonder what in Kevin Longs illustrious career caused the Yankees to think he could teach hitting to major league ball players.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Same point I was making: "Hit the ball, fool!"

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

He's no Mack Maquire that's for sure.

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I remember being in awe of how big McGwire was in '98, when he stood side by side with Bill Goldberg and looked bigger than the WCW champ. Steroids are awesome.

10. outofplace

No, not really the same point at all. I think he is too smart and knows way too much about hitting to take that approach if he ever tried to do it. I just wonder if he would ever want to be a hitting coach or if he would ever get the chance.

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Are you related to Mark Guire?

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I could throw a baseball 300 mph if I really wanted to. I just choose not to.

The funniest thing about the suggestion that Mark McGwire could have been a batting champion is that early in his career -- before the roids -- he went a stretch in which he hit .231, .235 and .201. The year he hit .201, Tony LaRussa sat him the last two games of the season so he wouldn't suffer the indignity of a sub .200 average on his baseball card.

Draft saved Draft deleted