1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Leary succumbs to cancer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mediator, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Jim Kuykendall

Jim Kuykendall New Member

This is a tough day. I was still in high school when Mark, just out of college himself, took me under his wing. I've had the great pleasure to work with him in Bradenton, Fla., Fort Lauderdale and Hartford, and he taught me nearly everything I know about this business. He was not only a tremendously dedicated journalist, but one of the most honest and genuine people I know. He was a loyal and tremendous friend. I spent a lot of time with him these past few weeks, and during each of those visits the phone was ringing constantly as people from throughout the country called to wish him well. He touched a lot of lives. He deserves to truly rest in peace.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I didn't know Mark, but I'm sorry he's gone.

Also, it would be pretty to think that a few people might read this thread and decide they were going to start living lives that would inspire their friends and colleagues to write such kind things about them when they're gone, too.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is a wonderful thread.

RIP Mark.

4. Shawn Courchesne

Shawn Courchesne New Member

I was a part-timer who spent more time answering phones and taking high school scores than out on assignment when Mark pulled me from my seat one day and told me I would be covering the Connecticut Pride of the CBA for the Hartford Courant.
    I was at a point where I was pondering giving up on the whole being a sports reporter thing. I was floored. He could tell. He could also tell I was nervous as hell. The look on my face must have told him everything because I didn’t say a word, yet he just looked at me and said something to the effect of, don’t worry kid, I know you’re ready for this.
    I could never thank him enough for helping in giving me my first chance at covering anything on a regular basis and keeping the drive burning in me to make it in this business. Thank you Mark. RIP.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

I highly recommend reading those blogs.
    Mark was tough and fair.
    One final memory, I gave him a few of my sections to critique and I expected a quick overview. When he handed them back to me, they were full of comments, most positive but very objective.
    I was surprised but thrilled with the quality feedback.
    I wish I could have worked for him, we need people like that in this business.
    APSE paid his expenses to the judging last March and I had the privilege to tell him his paper's US Open preview was top 10 for special sections. He was very happy.

6. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

A couple powerful quotes from the Hartford Courant's obit:

"Mark was a tireless editor who cared deeply about the newspaper business and had the same passion for the biggest story and smallest detail," Courant sports editor Jeff Otterbein said. "Anyone who worked with him and shared that passion and got to know him as an editor and person was better off for it."

Said Courant deputy sports editor Scott Powers: "Mark had such a profound effect on reporters and editors that his presence is still felt at The Courant. [Columnist] Jeff Jacobs, many beat writers and members of the copy desk say they do things a certain way because that's the way Mark Leary taught them. I know I often hear Mark's guiding voice when I'm struggling to make a decision."

7. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Sad news. Condolences to his family and to the good folks at The Journal News.

Thanks for hiring me a long time ago, Mark. Rest in peace.

8. Craig_Stanke

Craig_Stanke New Member

People who know me know I've been all over the place, working at a lot of newspapers.

Mark Leary was one of a handful of the best newspaper people I ever worked with, anywhere. And he was also one of the best newspaper friends I've had at any of my stops. The only reason I had to not always like him was that he worked so damn hard, you had to work harder than you might have wanted to to keep up.

Over almost 30 years in the biz, I did some of my best stuff in conjunction with Mark.

He'll be missed by a lot of people, but part of me is glad he can finally have some peace.

9. Pete Abraham

Pete Abraham New Member

Mark took a shot on me in 1999 when he was revamping The Journal News and my life has changed considerably because of the faith he showed in me. He was the most demanding editor I ever had and the best one. He is directly responsible for some people having great careers.

He was visited by many of his friends in the business in his final days, a steady stream of folks from The Courant and The Journal News. I know from talking to his wife that he really appreciated it. But not as much as we appreciated him.

Mark was a guy who fought for what was right and usually got his way. We could use dozens more like him.

Pete Abraham
    Journal News

10. DonBowman

DonBowman New Member

I worked with Mark twice...once in Fort Myers when we were both young and stupid...then again in Hartford where just I was. I'll miss him. He could be gruff and even difficult at times, but he forgot more journalism than most people knew. We'll all miss him, and I'm sure his family will always consider him watching over them.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I hesitated to post on this thread because my own interaction with Mark Cleary wasn't so positive, yet I was still very sorry to hear of his passing. Now I see that he was a big help to a lot of people in the business, and that absolutely deserves some respect. It sounds like a good guy was taken from us too soon.

RIP Mark

12. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

My deepest sympathies to his family and those who worked with him. We were both part of the extended Hartford Courant family and he made me feel as if we worked together. He should be admired for the way he molded people and staffs into darn good sections. Not to mention how good a person he was.

Bill Bradley

Draft saved Draft deleted