1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

mark davis: chip off the old block

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jun 2, 2013.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

son of al fires p.r. director. why? 'cause he didnt like how team was portrayed in recent s.i. article -- nitwit really think p.r. guys can influence s.i.: http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/35320/Raiders-fire-P-R--director-Gilbert/Default.aspx

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I saw this one on Prisco's twitter feed. He called the Raiders "Committment to Excrement" which I liked...

I've known Zak forever. He deserved better than this.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

nfl should shoot mark davis a huge 'eff you' by hiring zak for the league office. :D

4. Mizzougrad96

He'd actually be a really good fit there...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Except they won't because the culture of the Davises and Joneses and Snyders has permeated the NFL.

6. Mizzougrad96

I agree that the league has gravitated more to how Jones and Snyder do it over the last several years, but I wouldn't lump Davis with them. Jones and Snyder would get the information out through their channels... The Raiders would just never get the information out at all...

All you need to know about how the Raiders handle media relations can be told by picking up their media guide. For a franchise with that history, that guide is a joke. I'd have been curious to see what the one that Zak put out last year looked like, but the ones we would get when I was covering the league were about a fifth of the size of the guides even put out by expansion teams that had only been around for 10-20 years (or less).

I was at the combine several years ago and went to dinner with a Redskins writer and a Raiders writer and they were comparing notes as to which was the more miserable team to cover. The Raiders writer won by several thousand miles...

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

and never underestimate the league's abhorence towards anything or anyone that/who is al davis-related.

8. Mizzougrad96

This times 1,000.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

So ... after all these years ... the NFL still hasn't moved on?

(I believe the both of you ... this is more a commentary on the league ... )

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Al Davis was always one to not goose-step with how the rest of the league did things. Outside of schools which may not be able to replace them, does anyone use overhead projectors (vs. PowerPoint) any more? About the only change in father vs. son is, son may have better hair, which isn't saying much.

Draft saved Draft deleted