1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban's sour grapes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

FWST pwns the Evil Empire again ...

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/152950.html

Cuban countersues Nellie, actually alleging theft of proprietary knowledge in Golden State's first-round punking of Dallas.

Un-believable.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Basketball court, court of law....Cuban will keep going until he finds a court he likes.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

In this case, he be the court jester.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Mark Cuban is slowly but surely slipping away from "hey he is a cool and refreshing owner" to "this guy is a total tool and a jackass and is exhibit A why fanboy owners are not a good idea."

5. He's been there all along.

6. Mmac

Mmac Guest

The guy I can't imagine being in this mess is Donnie Nelson. How uncomfortable must that be to have your immediate boss and father become hated enemies embroiled in a ridiculous lawsuit, in which Donnie is definately a material witness. How do you toe that line?

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

hahahahahaha

Kind of like Tom Coughlin (with Jacksonville) signing the guys the Steelers cut during the season.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, he's always been a tool and he has always behaved like a jackass....but overall I still think he has been good for basketball in Dallas. The Mavericks were a disaster when he took over. Now they are a winning franchise that is extremely successful financially.

His hometown Pirates should be so lucky.

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Not defend Cuban, but don't you think maybe you should wait on all the facts to come out before jumping to a conclusion here? I mean, I know we've got the statements from Nelson's attorney -- and God knows attorneys would never stretch the truth, what with them being officers of the court and all -- but don't you think it might be best to get both sides?

It seems to me as if there are several issues at play, some of which are legitimate arguments between Nelson and Cuban (like the no-compete clause). I'm thinking that maybe the "theft of knowledge" stuff is merely a piece of one argument. Lots of times in lawsuits the lawyers will throw in everything imaginable -- even some crazy shit -- to win an argument. Because you never know what's going to turn it your way. You get an intellectual judge that loves the unique arguments and something like this might do it.

Or I could be wrong and Cuban and his attorneys could be utter morons.

11. IU90

IU90 Member

Dog428, I don't know how the alleged "no-compete clause" is worded, or even if such a clause is legally enforceable in a situation like this (I doubt it), but here's why it's a ridiculous claim even if it is:

Neither Cuban nor his lawyers said a single word of protest when Nelson took the Warriors job last year, nor did they ever say a single word of protest at any point during the entire season when Nelson was coaching the Warriors, nor did they say a single word during their playoff series. But now, nearly a year later in mid-summer after their season ends with the Warriors kicking their ass, Cuban suddenly says: Hey, Nelson, you can't take that Warriors job. You had a no-compete clause with me.

It's a bullshit claim. A clause like that shouldn't even be enforceable. Even if it is, Cuban's right to enforce now should be waived by him sitting on his ass and doing nothing for a year before mentioning it.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hey journalists, read the story.

I don't see a serious countersuit. I see a lawyer playing for sympathy and Cuban saying he doesn't know what he'll do with his claims.

Draft saved Draft deleted