1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban: your saviour?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Dec 25, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Why do you want the rest of us to do the same? What do you want to accomplish by that?

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If taking control of your own destiny is something you are averse to (and based on the above post, it seems like that may well be the case . . "Hope on and hope"? Are you stoned?) that is your affair.

I just feel that it's wiser - and in some cases, better for one's own health as well as that of one's family - to seek escape hatches rather than just hoping to survive on the whims of higher-ups. My goal, and I may or may not achieve it, is to set up longterm goals that don't include "hold on and hope" that someone else sees me as providing benefits that merit keeping my job.

And I'm not alone in this. Every individual makes their own decisions, true. But I think it's sheer folly to condemn those who seek more security.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

OK. Your call. I think it's wiser -- and in many cases, better for my personal well-being -- not to stress over what I can't control.

Last thing.

If you're ever independent of the whims of higher-ups, you'll truly be in rarefied air. Hope you get there.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Depends on the higher-ups. And the particular industry, doesnt it?

Look, your pomposity can't allow you to bend here, and that is fine. Even after seeing your buddies walk onto the elevator for the last time, you still wish to tilt at windmills and insult those of us who say "Hey . . . cover your butt, and that of your family." I've seen guys who loved their jobs and hated the "negativity!!!" of people who looked for better opportunities. And when those guys got whacked, it was devastating for them, and the anger lingers even now, months later. They were mentally and emotionally unprepared, preferring instead to go to work every day and assume (and hope, I suppose) things would remain that way indefinitely.

So yeah, good luck to you too. It's not about stress. It's about examining a situation, and taking action.

And again, that is your choice. Just remember that this board is not the people you have to answer to in the event of a reckless career decision.

5. spud

spud Member

I feel that, in some form or another, I am not welcome in this thread.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Shotty, thanks for your answer. Much appreciated.

I'm glad you're OK with where you are and what you're doing. I wish there could be more people in your position. I wish there could be a happy medium between those wearing the rose-coloured glasses and those who live in doom and gloom.

I honestly don't believe that you have pink lenses, nor do I believe you're advocating folks don't prepare themselves for what is not just a bleak future, but rather a bleak present.

If you're constantly waiting for the axe to fall, you won't be doing your best work -- and that does a disservice to you, your resume, and your readers.

I don't lightly fling around these stories and blog postings about the layoffs and the predictions and the use of social media and the Internet. I take this very seriously and I want some folks to realize there are opportunities out there for those of us who have lost our jobs at the whim of a CEO and a handful of bean counters.

Because there have been too many threads -- like mine two years ago -- that said 'sweet Jesus, I've lost my job. I have no idea what else I can do.'

I landed on my feet (knock on wood) and if I can help one person prepare for the world that's waiting, then I keep hope my karma stays in balance.

I don't have any great answers for saving newspapers. I don't have any great solution for how to make money on the internet.

But when I read the Pew Research Center site and learn that 40 per cent of Americans get most of their news about national and international issues from the Internet, up from just 24 per cent 15 months ago, I know that there has to be something to it ... and newspapers have to learn how to transition into the age of technology.

Quickly.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You know what? I could give a shit what the Pew Research Center poll says. I am sick of surveys and polls. Another Gannett thing. Surveys are a bunch of bullshit. Surveys. Don't get me started.

8. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Buck, you mean you believe in the reliability of surveys, polls and the like?

9. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Your margin of error is great, Fredrick.

Don't kill the messenger. Especially not Flash.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Get fucked, you tool. If you don't want to believe what's put in front of you, you're the one who's deluded.

11. jps

jps Active Member

I knew I liked you. :)

12. Flash

Flash Guest

I'm pretty easy-going until confronted with blatant idiocy.

Draft saved Draft deleted