1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban on Sports Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The_Plan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Aren't we all internet journalists? Is there any media company that doesn't publish its content to a website? Is there any media company that doesn't want more hits?

This is very troubling.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's why I brought up an established editorial process be a better barometer than a person running a one-person blog.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Established editorial process ain't worth squat if it's dedicated to throwing up some speculation or rumor on a crawl, with the reporter's name out in front of it. Why do so many scribblers these days feel they have to predict the future (where's Dwight Howard going to go in 2013?!!) instead of just reporting the present?

4. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

I just read Cuban's blog, and I totally agree with him. There are some fine writers on sites like Yahoo!, but the whole blog thing is sickening. I can't believe Yahoo! pays some of those chumps. Often when I comment, I end up writing, "Let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story." They're lazy, they don't fact-check, and more than once I've read that something "apparently" happened "for whatever reason." It's disgusting. And people actually read this shit.

5. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

You read my mind. Classic example is golf media's obsession with Tiger Woods's chase of Jack Nicklaus's career majors-won record of 18. Or predicting how many majors Rory McIlroy will win. Who cares???!!! If and when Tiger ever catches/passes Nicklaus, then just do a good job writing about it. Until then, forget about it. Analayze for me what is going on NOW. Please.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Deggans makes a lot of good points in response to Cuban. Here's the problem with relying exclusively on your own official site: You only reach people who are already your fans. A site/blog that "covers" the entire league or better still, all sports, allows the information about your team to go out to a much wider audience. To me, if all you need is your official site, you're saying all you need are the fans you've already accumulated, and that doesn't seem smart.

7. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

I don't fully agree. Think Cuban has some good points.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Wasn't SS the same person who resurrected another age-old thread just a couple of weeks ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted