1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban hits nail on the head, re: newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If you get Esquire via subscription, then the issue with George Clooney's already in your mailbox (or, if you're diligent about emptying it, the mag's on your coffee table or night stand or bathroom sink).

In any event, flip to this month's "What I've Learned" feature, and this month's interviewee, Mark Cuban.

In it, Cuban spends a few moments talking about how newspapers aren't dying and remain quite profitable. I left my copy at home this morning, but it talks about how newspaper companies are still hugely profitable, but are scared so shitless of their shareholders that they've forgotten what they're good at.

When the electronic version gets posted at Esquire.com, I'll grab a few grafs for this thread.

In any event, it's good to see someone outside our industry recgonize one of the biggest problems inside our industry.

Thanks, Mark.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2006/061105_mfe_December_06_Cuban.html

3. For the first time in my life, I am compelled to say,
    Bra-fucking-vo, Mr. Cuban.
    (However, I have a feeling that, if newspapers really behaved the way that "makes them special," he'd have certain objections about their coverage of him, his businessesm, and his basketball team.)

4. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I've always enjoyed Cuban. He's a rich guy who's enjoying himself. I would do the same in his position.
    And after reading this, I like him even more.
    Honestly, could you imagine if Cuban owned YOUR newspaper?

5. Yeah, we'd make the Pulitzer finals every years and never win.

6. boots

boots New Member

Yeah, but at least we'd have job security.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Only a few years ago, the mere presence of Mark Cuban drove me up a wall. Yet I was inclined to find out what makes him tick, and I have been pleasantly surprised at his insight and his beliefs. Heck, he didn't become a megamillionaire just by being a fool.

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

I read the issue yesterday and there is plenty of good stuff in there, including the Cuban piece.

Jones' article on Clooney is very good, as well.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

That's billionaire.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

every time i've crossed paths with cuban, i am amazed at how smart he is, how well-rounded he is, and how much he knows about everything.

in talking about the nba's infatuation with playing and having training camp overseas, he talked about how bad it would be for newspapers and the local US outlets that covers the mavs. he basically said: i know that -- at the most -- newspapers/local outlets would send one person to cover training camp if we had it in germany, just because of the climate of the industry. that doesn't help fans, the mavs, the community, the readers or anybody. so what's the point?

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i saw him quoted on that too, but if he doesn't grasp the concept of grass roots development overseas he isn't as brilliant as we thought.

12. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Right, like the NBA really wants MORE foreign players on its rosters.

Draft saved Draft deleted