1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Cuban: Bloggers are not allowed in my lockerroom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It sounds like rather than try to take things on a case-by-case basis and come up with rules with millions of permutations and calculations and interpretations, Cuban decided to create one blanket rule with no wiggle room.

Makes sense to me.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I wanted to clear something up after having it pointed out to me (privately) by someone I like and respect. You can blog about the Mavs from the locker room, but your primary purpose can't be blogging. I think I muddled that in the intro post. So the Mavs beat guy for the DMN can blog, as long as he's also writing for the paper.

But no rogue bloggers, I guess.

3. forever_town

I don't have too much trouble with this, to be honest. A team isn't going to have the time or wherewithal to expend the energy needed to determine which BLOGS! are an effort to provide legitimate citizen journalism and which ones are by blowhards who want a media credential so they can brag about locker room access to their buddies.

My shop has restrictions when we cover the Big Division I-A men's hoops program that's a 15-minute car drive away from our newsroom. Namely, we can't have a photog at the Conference games. We can only get photo coverage for the non-Conference games.

It's something I've learned to deal with by running file art from the games where we do get to have a photog. Or playing up the photos from the women's hoops team where we *don't* have to face that restriction.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks like this issue came to a head over a blogger from the Dallas Morning News, according to Cuban's own blog. According to Cuban, he told the DMN their blogger (Tim MacMahon) wasn't allowed in the locker room anymore. They didn't like it. Cuban said no more bloggers, period.

Cuban claims in his blog that allowing the DMN's fifth reporter (MacMahon) into the locker room gives the paper unequal access compared to others and that there's just not enough room in the locker room cuz then he'll have to give EVERY blog a pass instead of deciding on a case-by-case basis if they're deserving. This is hard to buy even using Cuban's bank account.

DMN is implying that Cuban didn't like something MacMahon wrote; Cuban writes that he didn't read the guy's stuff anyway. MacMahon posted earlier today that the ban was coincidentally decided upon right after Jason Kidd was benched for the last half-minute of a loss to the Spurs on Feb. 29 and MacMahon wrote a semi-critical entry of Avery Johnson.

Most likely, this blogger policy is disguising a punishment Cuban is doling out to MacMahon.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

We should keep in mind, when discussing this policy, that Cuban is, for the most part, insane.

6. forever_town

[​IMG]

But he does make a mean Blizzard!

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't let fucking bloggers in my house.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Did Cuban know Will Leitch was a blogger when he let him interview him?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

when bloggers put on pants, they almost look normal.

10. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

I thought bloggers didn't have to put on pants.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it is a perk of working out of your mother's basement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.