1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mark Buerhle > Jack Morris?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 21, 2014.

1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

1) The whole '80's thing is irrelevant, as has already been pointed out

2) If you want to see how un-HOF Morris is, consider his competition for "Best of the '80's." And his carbon copy hasn't even been mentioned. Bob Welch. Compare the numbers. Welch is pretty much Morris without the Game 7 (which didn't happen in the 80's).

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Clemens pitched four full seasons in the '80's. How is he eligible for this conversation? Probably the same way the conversation is even being had: complete arbitrariness. At least Gooden had six full seasons.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Clemens won a rookie of the year and 2 Cy Youngs in the 80s. He struck out 238, 256, 291 and 230 batters in 86, 87, 88 and 89. If you disagree with me calling him the best pitcher of the 80s, fine, I guess. Make your case for someone else. But there was nothing arbitrary about why I put him first on my list.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It must be arbitrary, since I asked you how one becomes eligible to be the "Pitcher of the 80's," and you did not provide any guidelines. Between 1984 and 1989, Orel Hershiser beat Clemens in innings (1449 to 1285), wins (98 to 95) and ERA (2.68 to 3.06), won a Cy Young, had four Top 5 Cy Young finishes, and placed sixth in MVP voting. And won a World Series MVP. Yet this is the first time his name is mentioned in this thread. So Clemens' half decade trumps other guys' full decades, but Hershiser's doesn't? The point is that the whole thing is arbitrary. I can't make a case for anybody, because you have set no parameters. If you are saying that I am the general manager of a team in charge of winning as many baseball games as I can in the 1980s, and I can choose between a pitcher who will give me five seasons like Clemens', or a pitcher who will give me 10 seasons like Stieb's, then I will take Stieb, and a host of other guys. If that's not the question, then what is it? And once I know, then I will be able to construct an actual case instead of cherry-picking facts from my keister.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I can't remember if it was Rob Neyer or someone else who originally pointed it out, but Mark Grace led the 1990s in hits. Sometimes there are just weird statistical quirks like that depending on where you put the start and end point.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Back to the "ace" argument. That just means he was better than Petry & Wilcox.

7. With regard to performance enhancers, I think that's realistic. ;)

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Hershiser. And Cone.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If he starts for 10 more years he most likely wins 300.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

It's only May but I think he's already reached his quota for the year.

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Yes, what I was trying to say was that we get caught up too often in saying so-and-so was the "Best of X Decade" as HOF support. But there's nothing special about the beginning and end years of that distinction besides the first begins with a 0 and the other begins with a 9.

For example, change the discussion to "Who was the best pitcher from 1983 to 1992?" That span includes some of Morris' best credentials (all three of his 20-win seasons, '84, '91 and '92 World Series). But he'd have a hard time making the top 5 in a poll of best pitchers in that span, considering Clemens, Gooden, Maddux, Glavine, Hershiser, Saberhagen, Stieb, Viola ... even Ryan led his league in strikeouts four times and ERA once in that span.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There might be people who literally look at the years 1980 to 1989 and segment things that way using a statistical measure of some sort, such as wins.

But when I say that Jack Morris was among the best 80s pitchers, I am not doing that. Take the best pitchers from the 1980s and Jack Morris should be high on the list.

Forget about ranking pitchers during the decade. In terms of starting pitchers who dominated for more than a season or two in the 80s, without stinking it up for the rest of the decade, these are pitchers I come up with (quickly off the top of my head):

Dwight Gooden, Steve Carlton, Roger Clemens, Dave Steib, Brett Saberhagen, Fernando Valenzuela, Frank Viola, Mike Scott and Jack Morris.

I am sure you can come up with a few others that someone could argue for. Maybe I am missing someone obvious. And maybe you want to include a Rick Sutcliffe or a Dave Stewart. ...

Now make your list, and then factor in subjectively (baseball is not played in Excel Spreadsheets) each pitcher's body of work during the decade (do all the statistical analysis you want, if it floats your boat) and how dominant they were (because you watched them pitch. i.e. you remember the nights that Gooden was mowing down batters and looking otherwordly), and how they were viewed while they were playing.

When I do that, Jack Morris is clearly near the top of any 80s pitchers list. He won a lot of games, year after year during that decade, was an innings eater and he gained a reputation of being a stopper.

Draft saved Draft deleted