1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's latest.... wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 25, 2006.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

This strikes me as an Ann Coulter-type issue. Mariotti has some points he wants to make but does so crudely. Just like Coulter's point about the 9/11 widows in "Godless." She would have set the grounds for a decent debate if she hadn't called the women "broads" among other things.

Same goes for Mariotti. I understand his point, but to make the point in such a whiny fashion ... just seems self-defeating.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Coulter-Mariotti is an excellent comparison.

Except Jay may well have better tits, while Ann has by far a more impressive Adam's apple.

Which, incidentally, sums up the content of their literary output, as well.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Zing!  :D

And too bad abesimpson is currently in seclusion. He jumped down my throat a few months ago when I bashed Mariotti. Wonder what he thinks of all this.

4. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

Granted, this wasn't all that well written - certainly not as well as the mostly-anonymous brethren on here could've done - but what do you expect from a TV guy? And yes, I consider those who seem more interested in their part-time TV careers than full-time print gigs to be a TV bozo. Then again, it appears Mr. Mariotti has peed on many a bowl of Cheerios here.

Bring the name of Royko in here, though, does inspire memories of some great and well-handled confontrational columnizing.
    Now, allow me to slide out of the way as the piling on resumes.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

By "George Bush territory" I meant it as an example of someone a lot of people can't stand ... not that he called someone names.

Christ, your post makes you sound as bad as Mariotti.

6. i've worked with jay on tv. enjoyed the experience.

i just strongly disagree with his attack-and-hide column style. strongly.

7. Stupid

Stupid Member

man, how I long for those days.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It was better than enduring the current coven of so-called Sportscenter "talent", the majority of whom clearly believe
    they're the f'n show.

Got news for you, boys . . .

9. greenie

greenie Member

Classic line, typo or not.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

A lot of people like Guillen actually. As for Marriotti and Harrelson....

11. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

I always thought of Mariotti as annoying and obnoxious anyway. Never watched Around the Horn because of him.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

As I said on another thread, Mariotti is a sexual two-way player _ a pussy and a prick.

Draft saved Draft deleted