1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti's latest.... wow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just saw a portion of a TV interview he did tonight, just a clip via email....1) blames Suntimes for not supporting his security issues, and suggests they are afraid of the Sox owner, 2) he can't go to the clubhouse because he is a professional and that is not a professional clubhouse, 3) he is the only one in the chicago media who works hard and tells it like it is.

Also seemed to have more makeup than Shirley Temple, but it could have been the quality of the tape.

2. Mariotti's just mad because everyone at sportsjournalists is making fun of him. If all those current and former players he named hates him, maybe he ought to look in the mirror and find out why so many people wanna shove their bats up his ass sideways.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Gotta love Jay's reasoning. It boils down to: 1) my bosses are chicken; 2) they're not good enough for me to talk to; 3) I'm Jay Mariotti, damn it.
    I'd say Jay went with the Tammy Faye Bakker look, but maybe it's my reception.

(edited to fix spelling)

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If it's my paper, Jay's gone. Now. You can't be going on TV and blasting your paper as guitless. Then again, if it's my paper, Rick's column doesn't run, either. All this is doing is convincing any sentient Chicagoan that the Sun-Times is a nuthouse. The paper is now in jeopardy. Jay will find another job. Some boss is always looking to hire a shit-stirring columnists, especially one who's on TV a lot.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You'd like to think that but, no. That would be the easy thing for him to do. Blaming everyone else is an art...

And Ms. Slappy watched some of it with me and after 30 seconds or so asked "Does his face always look like that? What's wrong with it?"
    Couldn't be makeup, 21. Real men don't wear makeup you know and Jay is a manly man... cept for the security thingy. And the standup guy stuff. Oh, and the having the nads to face the people you rip....

6. i watched the "big idea" interview.... and jay started out stating: "i'm trying to lay low because this story isn't really about me."

i fell out laughing... you just agreed to appear on an irrelevant tv show, but you're trying to lay low....

i give jay credit for this. he's trying his damdest to turn this into his own tv gig. he's huffing and puffing enough hoping some network is going to take a chance on him...you can see it in his facial expression and the energy he's putting into this...

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Gee, budget-minded papers are wasting a shitload of money sending columnists to the Super Bowl, World Series and Final Four, eh? Those are all on TV.

I don't see how you can possibly write a credible column without getting out and speaking to people.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You know what's really getting to me...that bizarre story about a naked ozzie, when he was a player, sneaking up behind Jay in the clubhouse and 'pretending to have sex' with him.

Let's get a group of veteran women reporters together, and swap naked ballplayer stories. Assuming no one touched you or theatened you, you roll your eyes, shake off your embarrassment (if any), and go back the next day.  You don't bring it up every time you get criticized for writing something negative.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dude, you have run the gambit of emotions on this board today....

And 21, I'm sure Jay will bring up something mean someone did to him at the OU (Com)Post if it means trying to gain sympathy...

What did piss me off about the CNBC interview was that the TV Geek sprung to his side... didn't bother trying to talk to anyone sick of his whining or who has taken him to task... onesided was not the way to go. It didnt have to be Ozzie, but could have been anyone who has piled on him in print in the last couple of days.. hell, they could have taken stuff from this board.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jebus... now he's on Tucker Carlson... at least Tucker isn't rubberstamping Eddie's whining....

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm channel-surfing. What's the over-under on when Jay turns up on MTV with Kurt Loder??

12. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

God, until I realized that Ohio U.'s paper is also called the Post, I thought I was going to have to give back my college diploma.

Draft saved Draft deleted