1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti to Tribune on September 1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Tribune will be a better paper on Sept. 1. The first relevant columnist they've had since Lincicome left.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nothing against you, senor . . . especially since we agree on 95%+ of broad
    cultural issues . . . BUT

Relevant to what . . . button-pushing hackery?

Let's see:

The White Sox are scum.

Ozzie sucks.

Fire (whatever coach is going bad, at the moment . . .)!

Whoever serves me favorably, his song I sing.

The couch (or its approximate equivalents) is my friend.

Ring Lardner is vomiting in his grave at the very thought of this atrocity..

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

What a flake Mariotti is. So sickening to see the Tribune fall for his act while other true journalists are left jobless.

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Some of you guys haven't read the Trib's response, apparently.

The Trib is denying the report. No Marrioti ... yet.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All I can figure is that Marriotti leaked his "talks" with the Tribune to get a better deal from ESPN.com.

6. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Indeed, not so fast, my friends.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1004001694

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I think someone posted that yesterday, somewhere above.

If sportsbybrooks is still the only source for this, something is not quite right.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Mariotti may not (yet) be signed, sealed and delivered to the Chicago Tribune newspaper. But, if he's in negotiations to be part of Tribune Company's ChicagoNow.com, as this story says, well, then that other eventuality is probably not too far off.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?page_id=2317&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3af5555513-c950-4657-a93a-80db16fdf4adPost%3ad577f0dc-3379-4efb-837a-9718d2c0b955&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending&sid=sitelife.chicagobusiness.com

Either way, I don't see how Mariotti could/should be working for both ESPN and Tribune Company (whether he works for that ChicagoNow site, or the Tribune newspaper).

How does this happen, the working for two companies that, heretofore, have been, and should be, arch, head-to-head competitors in a major market?

...Unless the lines of journalism and competitive ethics are becoming even more blurred than anybody could have ever imagined.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your imagination needs work.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That may be true. But my ethics don't.

I'd guess that Mariotti might work for ChicagoNow under an independent contractor/freelance type of arrangement, which, technically, would make OK any other work that he does along with that.

But still, something would seem wrong about this.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, several papers are printing competing newspapers. So that one paper saves the cost of running presses and the other can charge for the service.

That would be like you taking a package to FedEx and them sliding it next door to UPS to deliver.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

If Jay goes to the Tribune, his appearances on "Around The Horn" will be over. They'll have to be. If you are ESPN, and you have launched a Web site, ESPNChicago.com, which is now a direct competitor with the Tribune, are you really going to allow a columnist at a competing outlet to appear on your network in front of a Tribune backdrop? No way.

I've had a theory for some time now that Jay would end up at ESPNChicago.com sooner rather than later. When he appears on ATH, he does so in front of the ESPN Chicago backdrop, so why not just add him to your lineup and negotiate a contract -- for TV and web?

Draft saved Draft deleted