1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariotti re-ups with Sun Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by suburbia, Jun 18, 2008.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Sorry if this is a DB...

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/1009921,jay061708.article

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Eddie Munster re-ups, everyone else upchucks...

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Telander ought to resign in protest tomorrow.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What did the readership do to deserve this?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They read him every day. :D

6. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

get a load of this quote from Jay, in the story linked above:

"The Sun-Times provides for a strong base from which to connect with readers while I continue my television work and branch into other broadcast and Web ventures."

7. Yeah. Why would they want to keep on board somebody who A. Sends the Web hits skyrocketing like a pinball machine B. Writes four times a week, without fail, never mails in a column and travels all over the place and C. Is all over national television for a half-hour every day?

Look, some of the shit the guy writes infuriates me, as well. But to act like he doesn't have value to the Sun-Times - which isn't, by the way, exactly The New Yorker to begin with - is crazy. He's their franchise.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't unfairly abuse the Sun-Times. Their local news coverage has historically beaten the living crap out of the Trib with awesome regularity. It's a tragedy what Connie Black did to that paper.

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll take Couch over Jay or Telander 90 percent of the time.

But Jay is the franchise. Count me among those who prefer the Sun-Times to the Tribune any day of the week.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Shouldn't that sort of assessment -- and I'm not disagreeing with it one bit -- make the folks (left) at Tribune Tower feel pretty stupid? Considering the disparity in resources, space, staffing, etc.?

Draft saved Draft deleted