1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mariano Rivera torn ACL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, May 4, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

J.R. Richard

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

not a Hall of Famer. maybe the Astros Hall of Fame.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Ross Youngs. Was stricken with Bright's Disease in 1926, cutting short his season. Died the following year.

Not a Hall of Famer, but Urban Shocker. Won Four-time 20-game winner who won 18 games for the Yankees in 1927 and 187 for his career. Had heart disease, and pitched just one game for NY in May 1928 before being released. Went out to Colorado, pitched in a tournament despite not feeling well and caught pneumonia. Died in early September.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ahhh, I missed the HOF line, but he was one of the top five pitchers in the game when he went down.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Can't find my copy of "Glory of Their Times," but I do remember Goslin talks about that last at-bat in the book.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think that's true. Compare their FA habits to Boston or the Mets.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

compared to Boston? Manny, Ortiz, Pedro, Schilling, Damon, Foulke. None of them were drafted by the Red Sox. The Yankees always go out and sign free agents but they drafted Jeter, Rivera, Pettitte and Williams. They stuck with those guys. If it was the 80s they probably would've let some go, like they did with Drabek and Buhner (didn't draft them but acquired them as minor leaguers). not saying the Yankees had a limited budget and had to play moneyball, but i don't really think Boston did either.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I mean it's not true that they signed the top 1-2 FAs each season.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In '95/winter '96, George was all set to trade Mariano to the Mariners for Felix Fermin (!) because they didn't know if the new kid at shortstop, some guy named Jeter, would be able to handle the job. His subordinates convinced him not to.

Then, after the '96 season, Wetteland left as a free agent, and the Yankees were going to try to sign Roberto Hernandez or Randy Myers to close. If they did, they were going to try to trade Mariano and a couple of other guys for Randy Johnson. Seattle wanted Pettitte added, and the Yankees said no.

They also nearly traded Posada to the Mariners in '95 for Tino Martinez. The Mariners wanted Russ Davis, who was seen as the better prospect, instead. The Yankees didn't want to do that, but then signed Boggs, so they agreed.

10. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Would you say Rivera is he the greatest player per unit of play ever?

Draft saved Draft deleted