1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marco Rubio NYT story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 10, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nice work ...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've read more than a few of these type of stories where it is clear that an organization has put a lot of time into reporting something, but not found much. I do think the press too often "uncovers" public records and presents them like an expose when there isn't much meat in the sandwich.
    I was more curious about this one:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/09/n...line-between-political-and-personal.html?_r=0

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Gannett papers do that a lot.

The one I worked for used to love boasting about stories resulting from FOIAs. And a lot of times, it was just a reporter writing a letter to some government person asking to see some documents, and the government person sending them the documents.

5. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But when have we ever seen Republicans held accountable in their personal lives for what they claim they stand for publicly? See Hastert, Dennis and DesJarlais , Scott for all the proof you need.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How did he not live within his means?

It's also funny as hell, since any time someone on the right compares household budgeting to government budgeting, we're told what a dumb comparison it is.

8. Dick Whitman

Yeah, it's a dumb comparison. Meant to point this out last night. It was a terrible story by the Times. Terrible idea. Terrible execution.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, when the other households aren't in fear of being bombed by neighbors, or are supporting some poor households to prevent them from ransacking the kitchen when they're hungry, then yes, it's a dumb comparison.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is a ludicrous comparison.

Why do any of you think a story like this is chum for the left, 17 months before the general election?

It's the rich man's right that cares about having so much money that one is not compromised by, oh, buying a million-dollar yacht.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The difference between his personal finances and public financing is that he alone bears the benefits and costs of his decision to put himself into debt.

12. Dick Whitman

I don't think it had too much traction there, either. Jon Stewart excoriated the Times for the piece, for example.

Draft saved Draft deleted