1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

March Madness contests, software

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sweetbreads bailey, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Anyone else do the March Madness type contests where readers pick the NCAA Tourney games (basically an advertising thing where the paper can solicit sponsors for the page)?

Just curious if there is any software out there that would enable our paper to post the contest online and allow readers to enter online (like what ESPN and others do). In the past, we've had to manually enter everyone's entry in a software program. It did all the calculating but we still had to do the initial work.

Just trying to avoid all the manual data entry if we can help it. It's a popular attraction at our paper. I think more than a thousand people entered last year. Not bad for small town...

Thanks
    SB

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Over 1,000 entries, each picking 63 games, and you enter everything manually? I can see why you're asking about something like this.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Thanks.

And newbie...Make mine a Bud Select.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Enough with the beering :D

...but yes, if anybody knows software, please share!

6. Journalists are a brutal bunch ... ;D

7. Nola4520

Nola4520 Member

Sweetbreads--

Try TurboTourney's Contest Server ... we used it as an internal pool (the regular version), but one of the radio stations in my hometown used the server and had great response ...

http://www.turbotourney.com/ttserver.html

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nah... I just charge everyone 10 bucks, go to Florida for a golf weekend, tell 'em I won and better luck next year.

9. Notepad

Notepad Member

I am interested in the pool.

Rick
    UCLA football

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I think my group uses TurboTourney. I'll check and let you know.

11. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Digital Bang's software is very good and allows you to put your branding and logos on the pages. It also allows for asking some specific questions during the registration process ("Do you subscribe to the paper", "Will you be buying a car in the next 3-6-12 months," etc.) that can be a marketing goldmine.

The downside is that they charge close to $2,000 for a one-time use if you're buying a la carte. But at the end of the contest you can spit out a very sophisticated database of user info for your sponsors.

Excellent training and tech support by their staff, too.

We would have used them frequenly if our damn sales staff had ever remembered before March 10 that there was a basketball tourney coming up that advertisers might want to get involved with.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Thanks for sharing, Nola!

Draft saved Draft deleted