1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

March Madness and New Year's Eve, the common thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I love March Madness. It's one of my favorite times of the year in sports. But does anyone go through that annoying feeling of amateur hour? Kind of like New Year's Eve when all the rookies come out to drink and it just causes trouble.
    I keep hearing people try talking sports as they walk by my desk and it just bugs the shit out of me. People standing in front of the tv and pretending to care when usually they don't even know what teams are playing.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about St. Patrick's Day. I dread Saturday night because the amateur drinkers will be out in force.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fuck, yeah. It'll be a shit show in all the bars around here. Punks spilling green beer everywhere, pretending they like Guiness and heaving out by the dumpster.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bars hate it when SPD falls on tourney Thursday or Friday... Saturday is more liveable.. but the first two days are a waste of profit

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And the Goose will be its usual tranquil Saturday night self.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Tomorrow and Saturday... March Madness + St. Pat's weekend = a lethal and frightening combination.
    I will go straight home after work both nights.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm waiting breathlessly for one of the news copy editors to come over to the sports desk tonight for a front-page reefer and ask, "Now, is this college or high school?"

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Newsside dude at my shop just asked, "Belmont? They play hoops at Belmont?"

I answered, "Yeah, when they're not racing horses."

Same pseudo indie hipster doofus hump asked me why "you aren't showing UNC more love." I only have them losing in the Elite Eight.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

St. Patrick's Day and New Year's Eve are amateur hour days. People who don't drink or drink rarely decide to tie one on and show what tough guys they are. "I'm drinking a Guinness. I'm getting into a fight. I'm an Irishman."

Those assclowns need to STFU and go fuck themselves and their mothers.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of the "should you subscribe to your paper" thread ... ::)

I get a question like this about a dozen times a month. I don't expect the newsies to recite any stats or insight, but I don't think it's too much to expect them to know what the fucking NCAA Tournament is, or that NASCAR doesn't just run on the two weekends it's in our back yard, or that the Angels are in the American League. (And yes, I've had to explain all of those to professional news editors before.)

Especially when they've been centerpiece stories in our section all week.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You know what's funny about that? Guinness is a fairly low alcohol beer.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

And one of the lowest alcohol-per-calories of all ...

Draft saved Draft deleted