1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marbury's got a new shoe deal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Finally something to like about Stephon

2. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

Wonder if Larry Brown's gonna buy a pair.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if Steph could not get good money from Nike or Reebok his agents hatched this plan to stick it to them.

4. He's just trying to repair the train wreck that is his image. He's arguably the MOST selfish dude in the league (outside of # 24). I don't believe for one second that this is coming from the heart. His name is STAR-bury remember.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Heart felt or not, it's impressive.

This coming from a guy who spent $50 a pop on a pair of John Salley Osaga's and some shoe that Isaiah Morris endorsed. Morris was a second-round pick of the Pistons.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Steve & Barry's is pretty neat store for college stuff. You can find hats, T's and other stuff with your university logo on it. But, their stuff is cheap, dirt cheap. The quality just isn't up there. I can't imagine an NBA player running everday in sneakers made like that.

These things will fall apart just about avery game.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good for Marbury. It's a complete embarrassment to this country that top athletes pimp $150+ shoes to a demographic who can ill afford anything close to that. I hope this shoe does well. Question his motives all you want, I won't. I applaud him.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I agree. As much as he drives me crazy as a Knicks fan, this is a great idea. It would be cool if he bought a thousand pairs of the shoes and distributed them in his old neighborhood, too.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Why not? He's got like $25 million burning a hole in his pocket.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I would so buy Chuck Nevitt sneakers. Anyone else's? Not so much. But neat gesture on Marbury's part. That or his star has fallen so far that he can't get a better sneaker deal.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The sad truth is that the low cost of the sneakers will probably make them less appealing to the demographic Marbury's trying to reach. Part of what makes a shoe cool to these kids is that not everybody can afford them. What kind of statement are they going to make by wearing a $15 shoe?

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Oh man...Osagas...do I feel old.

Draft saved Draft deleted